HIV Anxiety Support User Group
Reliability of RAPID HIV TEST @3months
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1228 members

Reliability of RAPID HIV TEST @3months

My question is to anyone who has knowledge on RAPID HIV tests post 3 months exposure. Are these as accurate as normal lab based tests? at 3 months post exposure do I have anything to worry about? All answers are encouraged. My test was on a UNIGOLD RECOMB. TEST at 8, 12 and 14 weeks. Please share your knowledge anyone.
Rapid HIV tests are as reliable as lab-based tests.

Why? Because rapid tests are one of the biggest achievements in HIV prevention. It was assumed that people would not test for HIV because they could not wait 2 weeks for results, and in fact, many people who did test with lab based antibody tests, would not come back for their results (becuase they couldn't face the news).

So a rapid test that is FDA approved MUST be as good as the tests used in labs. You've had three of them, 8, 12, and 14 weeks. If there was ANY chance of a false negative (and there isn't especially since you tested outside the window period) then you are safe.

Rapid tests are used widely and predominently in Africa where HIV is more common. If the tests were not reliable, they simply would not use them.

Further testing is not recommended. If you do decide to go for a lab-based test, you can expect a negative result.

You are HIV negative. Accept it. And best of luck.
Hiya Jim. The tests are FDA approved. Their for, you should have no conerns on that front.
The fact that all 3 tests came back negative and you last test was over 3 months, means your results are certainly conclusive. Your HIV negative
joihn joined this group
Welcome them!
Apollo1971 God Quote.Muslims have mart... Comment
Aug 23
JGF25 When you can get to the "WH... Comment
Aug 15