HIV Anxiety Support User Group
What are my chances?
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1240 members

What are my chances?

Hi community, I've had 4 unprotected heterosexual encounters over the last four months, the most recent being this past weekend.

On Sunday I began feeling swollen lymph nodes in my groin. Monday I began having a fever and diarrhea, along with continued groin lymph swelling, and night sweats began (I've been using acetaminophen ever since to try to regulate my temperature--with some success) ... Tuesday I started to notice my mouth wasn't right. It felt chalky and full. Late tuesday night lesions began appearing on the very tip of my tongue... there are red dots and elevated grey patches along the very tip. My tongue feels like it has been burned.

On Wednesday, I visited a STD health clinic, the nurse thought that my mouth looked like a yeast infection and prescribed nystatin four times a day for two weeks. I've been taking it now for 24 hours and have not noticed a marked improvement.

The night sweats have continued, my mouth is in a lot of pain. the groin swelling seems to have subsided somewhat but is still detectable. I now have swollen lymphs in the neck and a lot of pain in the tongue. I also have a sore throat, but its not very extreme in soreness, but it is very very swollen.

I have no rash, but only these symptoms. I'm a 30 year old male in otherwise reasonably good health.

I'm awaiting test results for hiv, hepititis (hepatitis) and a few other issues.

Do these symptoms and their progression sound atypical?
Hiya, well firstly it needs to be said CONDOMS !!! you gotta use them buddy, its as simple as that.

Symptoms are completly pointless, they have never yet told anyone their status only HIV testing.

When was your last unprotected exposure?
about 2 weeks ago... I had a standard HIV test done on the first day of symptoms (about a week after my last sexual exposure) and that test came back negative. Doc now has me on valacyclovir because he thinks i have oral herpes. The valacyclovir has taken much of my fever away. And the nystatin and valacyclovir have together mostly cleared up my tongue sores and blisters. But I feel like without the valacyclovir, i'd be very very sick. Also my lymph node on the right side of my groin is still quite swollen.

any opinions about what this might be? two ER doctors said they thought my oral infection was fungal/yeast. only my GP thought it was herpes... but it seems like i have some kind of viral infection because the valacyclovir is having a positive effect.

any advice? opinions? similar experiences? would be greatly appreciated

As i said before, you cannot guess your health on speculation, even doctors cannot. Thats not just for HIV its any medical concen you may have, hence why tests are always what they require.

Well, you have 10 weeks to wait for your 100% conclusive test, but if your inclined to do so, you can take a test at 6 weeks and that will give a good idication of your status. If your negative then you know these symptoms are not HIV realted.
xicaxica85 commented on Bad breath, bad taste...
Nov 19
liamnek joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 15
athina28 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 14