HIV Anxiety Support User Group
You can see my Anxiety Levels
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1231 members

You can see my Anxiety Levels

Hi All, I recently had a post answered by Teak in relation to what I thought was a risk involving transmission of HIV from a tissue which may have had a tiny amount of Vag fluid on it, which I then wiped my leg with, I was convinced that this could be a risk due to some fluid getting into a hair follicle on my leg - Ive since been told without reservation that there is NO CHANCE. The purpose of this port is to highlight the battles that some face with health anxiety in relation to HIV due to ignorance around understanding risks factors.
I have heard many times that "HIV CANNOT LIVE LONG OUTSIDE THE HOST" to a person like me who obsesses about this, this reads  "That is can live and what if it is alive for long enough?" then that's where the fear kicks in.

I don't understand the virus and what renders it inactive, Im told that you must have penetration to be infected and also that there needs to be a certain amount of the virus to cause infection, im also told that my case is absolutely no risk 100%, I just wish I fully understood the risks as to this day I refuse to let anyone touch me and let alone have sex as I am petrified.
Air, liquids will render the virus inactive. HIV cannot survive outside the body that's why shacking hands, kissing or any kind of external contact is not a risk.

HIV is a very fragile virus, if it wasn't we would all have HIV by now after 30 years of the virus being discovered. Its not like the cold or flu that are airborne virus's and can life on a surface like a tissue and can spread very easily.

Maybe you should seek help for this, as this seems more like a phobia than anxiety?  
I agree with Apollo. Seek professional mental help. It sounds like a phobia or HIV OCD.
Hey, Thanks for the feedback, its been a couple of weeks now and im starting to forget about the episode, each time I feel that I am starting to drift back, I think about the comments and how my exposure was  actually never an exposure  and I feel better, Im sure as time goes on I will forget about it, im trying
Yes it is both I would say, the answer from Apollo gives me comfort that HIV cannot live on objects as well and be passed on
minhasgps joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 12
kt1982 joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 10
rvin86 commented on rvin86's status
Sep 04