HIV Anxiety Support User Group
hiv anxiety and a positive results
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1229 members

hiv anxiety and a positive results

So, after a high risk exposure, i tested over excessively as some have said. Then, my biggest fear happened..a POSITIVE test! It has been confirmed to be a false positive because the western blot came back negative. I still cannot get over it. Its been 2 days of non stop worrying and "what if" thinking.

if anyone has been in a situation like this, how'd you deal with it?
How are others dealing with their hiv anxiety?

Good news for you. The WB is a very specific test. There are NO false negatives with this test if taken at the proper time (i.e. at least 12 weeks post incident).

You can totally turn the page. Be happy :)
Thanks avalyn. It's about 2 yrs post exposure. I kept testing thinking the test before wasn't "accurate enough". Then I ran into this..
I can't get it off my mind :/

Do you know much about the western blots? Is a negative equivilant to no bands? If even one band was present, it would be intermediate, correct?
Sorry if that's out of your scope of knowledge. I don't want to post in the prevention forum cause I believe they are getting frustrated with me

Please try to move on and work with a professional on your issues. I read your post in the HIV Prevention forum, and I think they answered all your questions. Don't live a day longer with your anxiety and let it wreck you mentally and physically as it was my case.

In the meantime avoid visiting any other forums about HIV as it only feeds your anxiety.

All the best.
All what you need to know if that Elisa might give positive results as it's VERY sensitive, but there are no false positives, neither false negatives (if taken after the window period) with the WB. You don't have HIV, there's absolutely no doubt about this.

Stop doing this to you, don't visit these pages anymore and move on with your life. If you still keep obsessing about it, then it's really time for you to look for professional help.
Thanks. You should probably take your own advice. After reading your trend, it doesn't seem as though you're in a very sound place. Looks as though HIV is troubling you a well. Good luck
Well, the difference is that I have been tested at 9 weeks post incident. The official window period is 12/13 weeks. You have tested well beyond that. In your case, we're absolutely sure you're HIV Negative. In my case, there's a very very remote chance.

Good luck.
Oh, i apologize. It's a  horrible place to be, with this virus constantly on the mind. I can absolutely relate to the pain. I wish you all the best with you're upcoming test.  
If you have had a rabies or Hepatitis B vaccination, or an influenza shot, a false positive might show up when testing for HIV. The same is true for blood transfusions and hemiodialysis. Contamination in the laboratory is also a possibility. Also auto immune diseases or liver disease. History of injection drug use.Cross-reactivity with other retroviruses and pregnancies in women. The western blot is VERY accurate so go on breath and live life God bless.

Read more: What Causes False Positive HIV? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5148689_causes-false-positive-hiv.html#ixzz1xhe098vs
cannotstopworried commented on positive
1 hr ago
JGF25 OCD is not about reassuranc... Comment
Aug 29
misterworried joined this group
Welcome them!
Aug 28