HIV Anxiety Support User Group
how to stop
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1201 members

how to stop

How do I stop worrying about HIV? While working in an outpatient physical therapy office, I somehow cut myself while working with a patient. I did not see any blood on her, but I can't be completely certain. I took an hiv rapid test at the month mark and then another at the 6 week along with an Elisa which were all negative. Last week I took an HIV-PCR-DNA test last week and I should know the results by Wednesday. What are the chances that I am infected? How do I relieve this anxiety over this matter? I would go to counseling, but with my provider, the only available appointment is about a month and a half from now.
Hey
There´s no chance that you were infected. If the patient had been bleeding you would´ve noticed it for sure. Read:
http://www.medhelp.org/aids-hiv/slideshows/14-Myths-About-HIV/366/7
So don´t worry, you are fine.
p.s. I usually read this to help me with my anxiety:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/88524/HIV-THE-FACTS
Thank you so much for that link. So my result should absolutely be negative on Wednesday?
I´m sure it´s negative, don´t you worry.
you were never infected...you did not need to take all those tests.
You have fallen in the typical HIV paranoia merry go-round.

You have asked this question in the main forum, got the answer no risk yet continue to carry on asking the same question in different forums.

You nevr had a risk and a simple antibody test would have been better as a DNA test will never tell you status anyway. So you have just wasted a lot of time and money for nothing.

You can of course continue with this pointless exercise, or you can listen to the advice given, stay off google ( the mother of all paranoia ) and start enjoying life. The more you stay on HIV forums, the more you google the more you never convince yourself you were not at risk in the first place.
You didn't have an exposure to begin with and your tests confirmed your negative status.  You're suffering from HIV-related anxiety and OCD (I'd know, because I suffered it for almost 10 years!).  Your test results were all the validation you really needed, so just accepted that you don't have HIV and move on with your life.  Believe me, the last thing you want to do is spend so much of your life worrying about HIV.  I did it for almost a decade and I regret having destroyed so much of my mental, emotional, and to an extend physical health because of it.  It's no way to live.  Practice safe sex (condoms) for vaginal and anal sex, stay away from IV drugs and you'll never have to worry about HIV.
repentantdad joined this group
Welcome them!
Batteryshop01 commented on photo
Apr 18
droxor63 commented on ashler1977's status
Apr 18