HIV Anxiety Support User Group
positive or false positive? second opinion
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1231 members

Hi all.
I posted in the prevention forum, but it has been a few days since my results and I still can't get it out of my mind. So, I decided to get a second opinion on my situation.

Here is what I really want to know:

Can the HIV virus ever hide from a western blot, years after last exposure?
Or is there any way that the technician could have misread it? ie, didnt see a line, or would it be obvious?

I got a call about a week ago from my doctor saying that my ELISA test was reactive, but my western blot was negative with no lines present.
She told me not to worry if I havent had any recent exposures in the last 6 months, which I haven't.
But how can I not worry?

I have not had sex for at least 2 years now. No oral, no vaginal.
I just tested for the heck of it, and got these results.
I also did test after my last exposure at 3 and 6 months post exposure, those were negative and rapids.

I wanted to have a final routine check before entering a new relationship?
Should I test again just to make sure? I do not want to put anyone at risk.
Well lets look at it this way. Your HIV negative, had no sexual contact so why take a HIV test? That said you did and its positive but its cannot be correct as you didnt have a risk. False positives are quiet common on HIV forums. Whilst it can naturaly scare you and shake you up, you have to stick to facts and logic to understand the test result.

Now a WB is the golden standard of tests, ie that is the ONLY test that will confirm your HIV status. Now that wa negative, so its quite clear you dont have hiv  and how could you when you have not had sex?

To clear up. HIV does not play hide and seek. Its very easy to find in your blood, certainly easier than finding cancer which they do very well these days and the HIV tests are so sensitive thats why you can get false positives. They would not misread the test, they know their job very well.

The point you have to keep in mind is that you have not been exposed to HIV, thats all you have to remember, facts and logic.
Thank you for you response apollo

I should probably mention to you that I did have a risk 2 years ago. I had unprotected vaginal sex. Like I said, I tested at 3 and 6 months after that and then recently tested again (but for not specific exposure), and gave me the positive result.

I am just worried that neither the 2 initial tests and the western blot were able to pick up the antibodies..is that at all possible?

Thanks again for everything!
Hiya. For to tests at those time scales, its just impossible to miss hiv. So the test cannot find what is not their.

You really are hiv negative. :-)
minhasgps joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 12
kt1982 joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 10
rvin86 commented on rvin86's status
Sep 04