HIV Anxiety Support User Group
think I am cured feom my terrible anxiety
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1216 members

I recently saw a movie where some one got hiv and a little anxiety came back again. I went and got tested the next morning whicb would have made it 7.5 months since my encounter. Thank God it was negative again. To all you worried and anxiety driven people out there : " I know its tough to accept the great news that we are hiv negative but with time the anxiety gets smaller and smaller and will soon  go away completly. All you have to do is excercise and get your mind off it. Stop googling as this flares the anxiety levels to get high" stay well and God is good

I'm sorry to tell you, Trini, but your anxiety is NOT getting "smaller and smaller" if a mere movie can trigger enough anxiety that you  need to run out the next day and test.......AGAIN!

I would strongly suggest you consider therapy to deal with your continuing anxiety which is preventing you from accepting the FACT that you do not have HIV. Sitting around waiting for anxiety to get "smaller and smaller" is incredibly non-productive. There is really only one way to deal with anxiety and that is to be pro-active in our own mental health and get with a professional who will help us face it head on.  

While exercise and keeping ones mind busy ARE good antidotes for our anxious thoughts, for those of us with anxiety disorders, there HAS to come a time when we realize and accept these methods are not enough. That they are only temporary fixes, like sticking your finger in a hole in the dyke.

So, you can stay where you are, letting your anxiety dictate how you're going to live your life, or you can take control. It really IS that simple and it's entirely YOUR choice.

I don't mean to be harsh, but the solution is right in front of you. I'd much rather be supporting you during your therapy than hearing you've run out for yet ANOTHER test.

As my good friend Yoda says "Do, or not do......there is no try."
I hope you give therapy some real thought. Get your life back.
Nemaste
Greenlydia  
Thank you for your advice. I have started therapy and was put on medication for my irrational thoughts that is causing anxiety and depression in my life. I am doing ok and had a last test at 8 months past exposure and it was negative.  My therapist has banned me from taking anymore test as she says this will not help my anxiety.  Thank you for your kind advice
I am VERY glad to hear you've gotten into therapy and onto medications! Good for you!
It feels better DOING something to help yourself, doesn't it? Just know that it may take awhile for both the meds and the therapy to really make a change, but stick with it. You'll be so grateful you did.

Your therapist sounds like one very smart lady! I'm really glad she has "banned" you from any more tests. She knows that you could take a hundred more tests, but you STILL wouldn't accept or believe the results.  She knows it's your "thinking" that needs to change and by continuing to test, you're just reinforcing that paranoid, negative thought process. She will guide you to acceptance. Just concentrate on what a joy THAT will be!

I wish you great mental health!
Peace
Greenlydia  
I feel like I am 95 % there already. I have been placed on Effexor 150 mg and it has started to help me with my irrational and illogical thoughts. I think I am free from this hov anxiety
juanfearsfreddy joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 19
xicaxica85 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 15
JGF25 is amazed at how right Judg... Comment
Jul 14