HIV Prevention Community
HIV and medical procedure

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV and medical procedure

Hello, I would like to get some information for reassurance, since my wife has a small surgical procedure, and I am a bit suspicions about the doctor who perform this procedure about his status, I have notice some skin changes  on the doctor. He perform the procedure with glows so I should not to be worry about transmission. But I am still   worry . My question is, Can doctors perform a small or a big surgery like everything what is involving sharp surgical tools and open the skin of the patients, when they infected with HIV? I cant say he is infected, I don't know his status but this is probably something is in my mind. Like doctors and dentist infected with blood born viruses specially HIV can perform anything what involve contact with blood and open wound of the patients?
This   question probably is to RainLover71 since you are in Australia with your knowledge the doctors in Australia infected with HIV can work in procedures like open the skin or any surgical procedures?
And another question how confidential are HIV test in Australia, is this only between patients and the doctor or anyone in private surgery has access to this type of test even if the result is negative?
Maybe I am just overreacting but just a bit worry about my family.
Thank you very much for your time!
Reread what you posted and seek professional mental help for those irrational thoughts.
Sorry Teak, maybe is my irrational thinking, but back around 20 years in States in Florida incident of transfering HIV from dentist to patients happen, and he was wearing the glows all the time. So it was somehow possible. In some others countrys to, this is a small percentage but is happening.
My concern is can doctors  still practice surgeries when they are infected with HIV?
Thank you, I know you are very educated in HIV fields, and you are giving your spare time to answers to all of this  people on this side with HIV concern, just dont take my question of somone who needs mental help, just someone who is worry.
Have a good night!
I know of a case at the canberra hospital where a nurse had to resign because he was HIV+ and didn't disclose his status.They had to test several mothers and babies because he delivered them.This was in 1998.Recently there was a doctor that infected over 60 women in a melbourne clinic with the HCV.I would think that a doctor could still operate but would be fully gloved,gowned and masked before surgery went ahead.
That is BS, Dr. Bob had HIV and he still practiced until he got sick. There a lot of people that work in the healthcare field that have HIV and there is no disclosure law when it comes to anything other than sex
Dr Bob Frascino worked with HIV+ patients,that's how he contracted the virus.In some cities people working in the healthcare field must disclose their status if they are HIV+.
Not in the US there isn't. That is what the ADA is for.