HIV Prevention Community
***** my Risk Please

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

***** my Risk Please

This is my risk if someone can please ***** it.  I am a Police Officer and I recently had an encounter with a HIV drug user, while conducting a pat down, I was pricked by a needle that he had on his possession.  The needle was a closed needle like a sewing needle not one for injecting drugs.  The drug user stated that he used it to check his insulin levels.  The drug user stated that he had used it about 2 minutes prior to my encounter with him.  Is this a Risk?  

I have read a whole lot of mixed information on this over the internet.  Can someone who has any knowledge of this please comment.  The needle did not have a bore.
Tags: HIV, drugs, insulin
Thanks for the quick response.  Are you a Medical specialist or have experience in this field?  I am very worried for the fact that he was HIV postitve and wondering if I should have reported it as a occupational exposure, what do you think?
Have people been infected with HIV from being stuck by needles in non-health care settings?

No. While it is possible to get infected with HIV if you are stuck with a needle that is contaminated with HIV, there are no documented cases of transmission outside of a health-care setting.
I have read some of your post and you seem to be educated in this field.  What do you think about my situation and If I should report this to my supervisor.  
Sure you should report it. You should also get tested for HCV.
I am going to see my doctor today for the HCV but should I be worried about the HIV?. Low Risk or No Risk?    
If you test or not depends on your departmental policy and insurance company.
I am trying to figure out if I was at risk for HIV?  Or if I should wait the 3 months to test.  What is your opinion?  
Does anyone else want to share your opinion.  I am very worried and dont know if i am over reacting or not.
I agree with Teaks 1st responce he gave. While it is in theory a risk it has not happened. Should you test...probably to be safe and this will probably follow your department guidelines to test.
Let's understand the nature of exposure you had, I am going back to your initial post, which states "The needle was a closed needle like a sewing needle not one for injecting drugs"

Now firstly, the risk of you contracting HIV from this exposure is practically impossible. Why? The type of needle you mention can't content fluid and also assuming this individual was HIV positive, for the blood that it might have already come in contact with, the infected fluid was already deactivated to transmit HIV. As, the virus becomes inactive as soon as it comes in contact with the external environment.
Thanks for the replys.  My Doctor told me that I should not worry about anything and that HIV cannot be transmitted that way.  He also said that there would not be enough blood to transmit Hep C.