HIV Prevention Community
4, 6, 12, 13 weeks window period?

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

4, 6, 12, 13 weeks window period?

Most HIV experts says 4-6 weeks HIV Duo tests results are conclusive, including H. Hunter Handsfield, MD; but most here at the medical community are attached to the 3 months mark. I remeber someone saying about conclusiveness of Duo test results before 12 weeks "these doctors don't write the guidelines" but i can see H. Hunter Handsfield, MD as one of the writers of the 2006 CDC Revised Recommendations for HIV Testing of Adults, Adolescents, and Pregnant Women in Health-Care Settings.

So, my question is ¿is he wrong on his statements?

French guideline establishes 6 weeks as conclusive with the Duo test ¿why?
What do you think about this?
The window period is 4 weeks to 3 months. You can obtain a conclusive negative test result 3 months post exposure.
at 6 weeks it is 95% done & at 90 days 99.99% accurate & cuclusive
but i can see H. Hunter Handsfield, MD as one of the writers of the 2006 CDC Revised Recommendations for HIV Testing of Adults, Adolescents, and Pregnant Women in Health-Care Settings.

That's not the same thing as testing manufacturers setting guidelines.  Not to mention, the CDC's guideline is 3 months also.
The CDC also states in it's guidelines that an RNA by PCR has a window period of 9 to 11 days.
That is not correct at all. PCR-RNA tests cannot give a conclusive negative result any earlier than any other test. A PCR-RNA test is not a stand alone test and has to be followed up with an antibody test.
One last question:

1. - Is a 12 weeks result with the duo definitive and conclusive or should someone need to go for further testing?
2. - Is late seroconversion an urban myth with duo tests for HIV-1?
3. - Are 12 weeks enough to discard completely HIV-2?
1.YES 2.YES 3.YES
No late seroconversion does happen. I'm  sorry you were ill advised. Those that may have a later than normal seroconversion are those on Chemo, those that take antirejection drugs for organ transplants and chronic IV drug abusers.
Thanks... One more thing:

12 weeks in medical terms are equal to 3 months right?