HIV Prevention Community
6 week accuracy for oraquick test result

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I am looking for any info on the accuracy of the oraquick home test at the 6 week mark?
Has anyone heard of getting a negitive result at 6 weeks then later a positive result? I know the recommendation for testing until 12 weeks is conclusive but just wondering as to the estimates of accuracy prior to 12weeks
The OraQuick In-Home HIV Test can give you accurate results 3 months from exposure. Most people will develop antibodies to HIV within this period of time.  
If you test within 3 months of possible exposure and the result is negative, you may want to repeat the test at least 3 months after the possible exposure.  
Ninety-seven (97) percent of people develop antibodies within the first 3 months after infection. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months.

http://www.oraquick.com/FAQs
Thanks teak I have read your posts for a few weeks now and appreciate your knowledge and input

I agree and will continue to test to 12weeks

I hope I can get your opinion on follow up questions

1. Have you heard of anyone testing negitive earlier than 12weeks then positive at 12weeks?

2. Is the oraquick test a good way to go all the way to conclusion at 12 weeks?

3. Is there a good test you recommend that would be more accurate at 6 or 7 weeks
There are no tests that can give you a conclusive negative test result  earlier than 3 months post exposure.
Thanks if that is the case is oraquick an acceptable way to go until 12weeks?

Also I have heard ( or read) that most people Have some detection by six weeks but that this is not conclusive

May be less but will oraquick pick up this ( although may be less than 97%at 12weeks
Also do the so called early section blood tests work?
As with all tests. A conclusive negative test can be obtained 3 months post exposure.
So if only 97% of people develop antibodies after 3 months then the test is not conclusive after 3 months.97% = not conclusive.
3 months is conclusive--that 97% is old information.
Your 6 week negative is highly reassuring and very unlikely to change at 12 weeks.
It's the CDC that state that information about the 97% figure.
That  is totally incorrect. That test was just approved and went on the market in the US in october. CDC does not have anything to do with test approvals.
I was talking about what the CDC have said for years about 97% at 3 months.Not about the ora quick rapid tests.
You gave incorrect information.
Thanks to allBottom line.   Should I feel positive about my neg 6week test and sleep well until week 12 or continue testing every few weeks?
I never gave incorrect information and your 6 week negative is highly unlikely to change at 12 weeks.
Just take your conclusive test. Life doesn't stop while you are waiting to test keep active and stop searching HIV.
Just take your conclusive test. Life doesn't stop while you are waiting to test keep active and stop searching HIV. .

That's the best advice you could get.  While testing for HIV certainly produces anxiety, in the grand scheme of things, 3 months is not a long time.  

There are all kinds of tests in the medical world that take time.  It just is what it is.  The best thing you can do is stay busy and not overthink it, and stop searching the internet.  That causes more anxiety...as does testing multiple times.  There is just no need.

And the 97% isn't old information...it's to take into consideration the very small population of people who are severely immunocompromised, for example, people on chemo, people taking anti-rejection meds after an organ transplant...those kinds of things.  Those people are advised to test out to 6 months, due to their immune system being close to non-functional.  Of course, for you, that isn't a concern.  3 months is conclusive for you.