HIV Prevention Community
6 weeks rapid HIV test

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

6 weeks rapid HIV test

Im 25 year old guy with a high risk of exposure from CSW of unknown HIV status. I have a an unprotected vaginal sex to CSW last December 12, 2009, we did it three times and after that i notice also that there is blood on the bed, she said she just finish her menstrual period. I'm so drunk that time that I forgot to use a condom. After 3 weeks of my known exposure i develop a symptom's like headache, pain in my penis with no discharge, malaise, lack of energy, joint and muscle pains, pain in my lymph nodes but no swelling, diarrhea, and I'm feeling very hot, I feel like I have a fever inside but I have checked my temperature regularly and it is normal. I'm a healthy guy and never experience like this before. I have been sleep deprived, depressed, very stress since then. I always have this feeling awful feeling every time I wake up in the morning. I also lost weight and have very itchy feeling in my whole body but no rash. After 45 days last Jan. 26,  2010, i have decided to have a Rapid HIV 1&2 antibody test, result is negative, then a Serodia HIV test on other clinic 47 days after' results is also negative. But I also have a gram staining test and the result positive for gonococcal infection, the doctor give me strong dose of antibiotics. I do not feel pain in my Penis as of the moment. But still Im so worried right now, because the doctor said that i should go back again after 6 weeks for a three month conclusive HIV test, she said a six weeks test is not very reliable.

My questions are

1. What are the risk of my exposure of HIV by doing it three times unprotected vaginal sex plus she still have this stains from her menstrual period, which said has stopped?
2. The blood from menstrual period have also the same amount virus like our real blood?
3. How many weeks from known exposure that you should be tested? as per post on the net they said average 25 days you will develop antibodies? but many say 3-6 months. Some doctors said 6 weeks? which one is true?
4. Have you known a person base on who tested negative after 6 weeks test who becomes positive?
5. Could be my symptoms are caused by stress and anxiety?
6. Should I go back and have the HIV test again?
7. What are the common symptom's of ARS? Is at happening the same time?
8. Is HIV rapid test and HIV serodia test reliable after 6 weeks of exposure?

Please help me Dr, I have been so down since that incident and I cant focus on my work and my family. I don't have enough sleep and lost 5 kg in one month, but my appetite is normal. Thanks in advance, hope you could help me. I want to ba back on my normal life again.

You had an exposure, a three month test is will be conclusive.
Don't let your symptoms put you in a depression and make you believe you have hiv.....I'm saying that now, but I have driven myself to the point of serious depression for the past 3 months.  I will know the result of my test this Thursday.  If I am negative, which everyone on this site says that I will be because of a no-risk, low risk exposure....then that is obvious proof that you can experience every symptom in the book and be hiv negative.  I have had swollen lymph nodes, small rash, dry eyes, sore throat, dailly headaches, flu like achy symptoms, white tongue, etc.  So, just try not to worry and take the test at 3 months post exposure.  Then, hopefully you can learn from your lesson and put the fear behind you.  I will say a prayer for you :)