HIV Prevention Community
7 weeks negative, 12 weeks rapid test faint line

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I got 7 weeks negative from rapid test and ELISA result in March.

I test again today for 12 weeks result. But we found faint line shown on rapid test. I need to wait for blood test result next week.

I am now really scared. The nurse saw a very faint line. I cannot see the faint line by my untrained eyes. But I am now extremely scared.

The doctor explain to me that it is not definite result and we need to wait for blood test come out next week. He said the negative result in 7 weeks is a very good indicator since most of the positive can be detected in 4 weeks.

I read many people and experts saying that they never see people turns positive if they are 6 weeks negative. I really scared to be the first one.
I would listen to the Dr.

What was your risk?
It was 12 weeks ago and my first test was done 7 weeks after exposure.

Unprotected oral for two seconds and protected vaginal intercourse with prostitute.

She put lotion in her vaginal by her hand before sex. After few minutes vaginal intercourse, I took off condom and she did masturbation with her hand. Is it possible I was infected because of the vaginal fluid on her hand contact with my penis?
You did not have a risk.
I am still very scared because of the rapid test today. The nurse saw faith line in rapid test. I know rapid test is very accurate.

I am waiting for ELISA test result next week. I am so anxious that cannot eat and sleep........
Rapid tests are known to give false positives, you have an interterminate test. Not positive.
My rapid test was finger pick not saliva. I heard finger pick type can greatly reduce the false positive rate.

I am really anxious. I really don't know how to wait one week.
You did not have a positive result, it was inderterminate. You never had a risk.
No risk, you didn't need testing to begin with.
if protected sex and oral sex was your only exposure...then you DEFINITELY had a false positive.

relax
ooops...forgot the masturbation part.  this is no risk also
I am so anxious and confused now. I read Oraquick manual. It said any faint line represents positive.

I am so confused that I cannot sure what happened with the working girl. I am so scared.

I didn't expect this result yesterday. I thought my 7 weeks ELISA negative is good enough. I went for 12 weeks test just for confirmation. I didn't expect positive result. I am really shock.

It is so difficult for me to wait in these few days.
You never had an exposure and didn't need testing.
The faint line on rapid test is really annoyed me. I think I am infected becasue the false positive rate of rapid test is low.

I am thinking maybe the condom was not used correctly. Or I broken that I didn't know. Or infected because of few seconds unprotected oral sex.

I am so depressed. I really thinking to kill myself....
I know my risk is low to begin with (assume I remember that night correctly...)
I know my 7 week ELISA negative is promising
I know the 12 weeks rapid test may be false positive

But...
I still extremely scared with the faint line. I read that the rapid test is 99+% accurate. According to Oraquick manual, any faint line represents positive result. I do not know if it means I am positive

Cannot eat, cannot sleep. Don't know how to wait in these few days. Extremely anxious
Waiting for the result for WB
Thanks for all your support.

The faint line result was read by the nurse in clinc. She does the same test everday so her judgement is professional. She told me it seems to be positive result but I really cannot read the faint line by myself.

I really hope the faint line is false positive. I have 7 weeks negative rapid test and ELISA result. I read so many people said they never see negative in 6 weeks turn positive in 12 weeks. I am so anxious to be the first one.
The other reason I am so anxious is the symptoms.

I know HIV cannot be diagnosed by symptoms but I had low grade fever (99-100F), very bad sore throat, one enlarge lymph node on neck, stomach upset, nausea, vomit and serve nightsweating in Feb. It was 4 weeks after exposure.

I got negative in 7 weeks after exposure. Can I confirm the above symptoms is not due to HIV?
not trying to be rude...but i must ask - what part of NO RISK are you having trouble understanding?

I had unprotected oral for two seconds and protected vaginal intercourse with prostitute.

When she put lotion in her vaginal by her hand before sex, I am sure she left vaginal fluid on her hand. Few minutes after protected sex, she gave my hand job. I think her fluid on her hand contact with my penis when she gave hand job for me.

Or the condom was broken that I didn't know.

Sorry for asking again. It is really stressful. I am so worried now.
I took off condom before she gave me hand job
You never had an exposure.
Sorry for being so annoying. I really cannot stop thinking about this.

I remember the intercourse was protected. But when I kiss and bit her breast, I don't know if it was my imagation, I felt something spill into my mouth. In case there was lactate or blood spill into my mouth. Will I be in high risk?

The other reason for the high stress is the symptoms during 3-4 weeks after exposure. I had low grade fever (99-100F), very bad sore throat, one enlarge lymph node on neck, stomach upset, nausea, vomit and serve nightsweating

Of course the faint line in rapid test is also strong sign. I really feel I am infected.

I have negative rapid test and ELISA after 7 weeks exposure. But it still cannot settle myself.

I am so worried now. Blood test result will come in next few days. Really high stress that I cannot breathe.
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
this forum has nothing left to offer.

please take your concerns / questions to the hiv anxiety community forum.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/HIV-Anxiety-Support/show/595
Hello..so did you got your WB result?
Move along. He didn't need a WB.
Thank you everybody. Blood test result came back today negative!
Oh my God TEAK..i can't belive....you had right with Peterwong as he doesn't need WB ....I pray to God you will have right in my case...God bless you TEAK!!!!    and im happy for peterwong came NEGATIVE!
Congratulations friend, God be with you.