HIV Prevention Community
99.9% accuracy at 3 months

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

99.9% accuracy at 3 months

Hello everyone,

I require some clarification about the window period.
I had a unprotected vaginal sex for several minutes due to condom break with a stripper.
I tested negative using DUO at 4 weeks, 8 weeks and 16 weeks.

I was feeling OK after my conclusive test, however my anxiety is being fueled again because I have to take an HIV test soon (For Visa procedures.)
Why would a test at 3 months be considered 99.9% conclusive and not 100%?
Some HIV specialists - such as Dr. Bob - still recommend 6 months only if the client has been exposed to a known HIV positive client.
(I think this is nonsense because most people who get HIV get it from an unknown exposure!)

Is there a slight chance my test now (Around 6-7 months post-exposure) would come back positive?
Or would be 16 weeks test be considered 100% conclusive and it's impossible to test positive again?

Of course, I did not have any sexual exposure, of any kind, since then.

I'm sorry but Dr.Bob can't recommend anything, he has passed away...a while ago.

3 months is conclusive. Don't know why people still say 6 months. And people who get HIV get it from a known exposure. Unprotected sex is a known exposure.
Damn, I did not know he passed away, sorry about that.

What I meant by "known exposure" is that when you have unprotected sex with someone you "KNOW" is HIV+.
Got ya
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
Yes, but why does CDC state in their Website the following:

"A few people will have a longer window period, so if you get a negative test result in the first 3 months after possible exposure, you should get a repeat test after 3 months. Ninety-seven percent of people will develop antibodies in the first 3 months after they are infected. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV."

http://www.cdc.gov/actagainstaids/basics/testing.html

Do 3% of people have near-death conditions?
Why don't they update the testing page in their website, which should probably be the most visited page on the site?

They don't mention anything about auto immune medications, PEP or diseases in relation to those 3%...
You don't fall in the 3%.
Thanks for your reply... But does CDC state who fall in those 3% and are there any references?
Yes and if you had read about it where did you get, "
They don't mention anything about auto immune medications, PEP or diseases in relation to those 3%...?"
.

From you and many experts.