HIV Prevention Community
ARS at just over 7 weeks ?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

ARS at just over 7 weeks ?

Greetings, here is my history and question.

I was tested and free of all STI's, and did not have any new partners, until November. Just a few months ago on November 11th, I was drunk, foolish, and had unprotected receptive anal intercourse with a new friend. Before we began, he was very insistent that we discuss our STI history and statuses. He assured me he was tested and free of anything, and I was recently tested prior and told him the same. I am quite sure that he did not ejaculate inside of me, as he did ejaculate outside in a towel at the end. I have felt fine until just this last week, where my palms and soles of the feet have been constantly cold and sweating, and I have had a few moderate night sweats that caused me to change my clothes. For the first few days of this "illness" I was experiencing hot flashes and chills as well. As far as I know, I have not had a fever, as my room-mate has felt my forehead multiple times and said that I feel normal, or even cold once. I have no other symptoms. A nurse checked my temperature and the palpable lymph nodes the other day and both were normal too. I have an HIV test appointment coming up on the 14th of this month, January. I do know that I will be testing for peace of mind. I will follow up on the three month mark as well.

I guess, my only question is this. Since being just over 7 weeks ago, is it too long ago for ARS to appear now ? I must also include that I am a moderate alcoholic these days, usually drinking multiple drinks a day, and having the occasional night of heavy drinking. I will be taking counselling for the alcoholism as well, as it is very unhealthy. I just have HIV in the back of my mind, that is all.

Thank you for your time.
Tags: ARS, HIV, 7 weeks
ARS happens 2-4 weeks post exposure. But people don't have to get ARS in order to get HIV. 3 month test is conclusive and USE CONDOMS ALL THE TIME!!!!
So these symptoms must be a garden variety virus, or could be attributed to my alcoholism. I won't allow myself to make a mistake like that again. It was foolish, and we should have just stopped at a store and picked up condoms.