HIV Prevention Community
ARS timeframe

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

ARS timeframe

OK, another question from me.

It is often stated that ARS symptons appear within 2-4 six weeks post exposure. Any symptoms beyond this timeframe is not suggestive of ARS, i.e symptoms at 7 /8th week.

But my query is that surely symptons could last well into the 7/8th week, and/or even begin at 7/8th week hence for the reason for testing at 12 weeks.
So if we continue to imply that ARS symptoms occur within 2-4 weeks post exposure, then shouldnt we reduce the window period for testing?

Unless i am missing out on a vital bit of information, i would like to know your thoughts.

The window period issue has been an ongoing debate on this forum. The consensus is that 3 months post exposure gives you a conclusive  test result with very rare exceptions.
I know that the window period is hot topic on this forum, but i am trying to put things into erpsective, especially when considering the timings of ARS symptoms.

Im not contesting the window period at all. I just dont understand the relationship between ARS timings and the window period testing - unless, there is no relationship and i am just thinking too much into it.
For those that do experience ARS symptoms, and a majority people never have any symptoms at all, the body takes time to produce enough antibodies to be detected on a test, thus the need to wait. Someone else here may have a more concise explanation.
Diagnosing ARS is after the fact. Meaning one has to test positive to know that they did have ARS and to obtain a conclusive test result it is 3 months post exposure.