HIV Prevention Community
About western blot test

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

About western blot test

Is it possible to detect false -ve result in western blot test after performing ELISA test,what is the condition of person who has come with +ve ELISA test but -ve in western blot test.How much accurate are WB test as if ELISA test can have false +ve test then how can some some say that WB test are accurate if come with -ve result.
a western blot result TRUMPS all other results.
Avatar n tn
sorry what does that mean?
if you have a positive elisa and a negative western blot...it means you are negative!
The result of a Western Blot is the conclusive test. If you test negative on a Western Blot. You're negative.
Avatar n tn
and about my other question that is,is that ever happend to get false -ve WB test?and when some one come up with -ve ELISA test then WB test still performen or not?
No not when you test is done at 3 months post exposure.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for ur all comments.Can you also tell me what happened in rapid hiv test?as this test is known by the name that is rapid test only.What sort of tests are performend in rapid tests?
Avatar n tn
Does ELISA and WB test are also part of rapid test?and how accurate is rapid test if done after 6 weeks or 3 months?
A rapid test is an ELISA a western blot is another test by itself.
3 months is conclusive.
If an elisa test reports negative and western blot too confirms negative within 4 weeks of possible transmission, can it be confirmed negative ?
NO. read testing guidelines of the tests.
NO. The only CONCLUSIVE Negative Result is and ANTIBODY ASSAY at 3 MONTHS. Sometimes Drs. will refer to tests as "INDICATIVE" , this means, with a certain result, that the testee is "UNLIKELY" to be HIV infected, however. "INDICATIVE "does NOT = CONCLUSIVE

-Regards-
You mean to say, I have to do another test of ELISA or WB.

Pls get me the right info.

Regards
The info. you receive here from Teak, LIZZIE LOU, myself, and many others is highly accurate and dependable. I refer you to "TESTING GUIDELINES FOR HIV TESTS" as Teak had already suggested.

-Regards-
Hello

If you are concerned, get an HIV antibodies test 12 weeks post exposure. Western Blot test should not be used for routine screening. It is a confirmatory test and negative HIV screening tests  (rapid tests, lab. based ELISA etc. tests) ouside the window period do not routinely need further confirmation.

Thanks.