HIV Prevention Community
Acute HIV, or just a virus?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Acute HIV, or just a virus?

So about 3 weeks ago I gave oral sex to someone that I am unsure of having STDs or not, but he did not ejaculate and I didn't even taste pre-cum. A few days later, I started feeling aches in my muscles and developed a light skin rash on my chest, which I think was due to immense stress (once I begin to talk to my friends about my issues the rash subsided).  After a few days of aches (also only a few days after the encounter), I started having nasal congestion/nasal drip. 2 days later I had a low fever for about 2 days. Next, the nasal drip continued, gave me a slight sore throat with red bumps in the back, and I have a sore in the back of my throat (which I have had many times before).  My sore throat hadn't been going away for about a week, but I also have been smoking nearly every night.  The other night I stopped smoking and saw improvement in my throat (it does not hurt much anymore) but it is still red and has the red bumps.  I am still slightly congested. I've been to the doctors a few times and each time they said they think it is viral, but i have not been tested for HIV.

Are these signs of acute HIV, or just something viral?  Is it likely to acquire HIV through oral sex? Am I just sick and overreacting, or is it a problem that my sickness has been persisting for about 3 weeks?  Keep in mind that signs of sickness happened about a day or two after the encounter... which for acute HIV I think the symptoms don't show up for longer? PLEASE HELP!!