HIV Prevention Community
Acute HIV question: Morbilliform Rash/No Fever

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

I had unprotected anal sex with a man 4 weeks ago--I know I should not have.  I know.  And I didn't want to.  I was top, he was bottom for only about a minute after which I pushed him off.  Alarmingly I noticed an abrasion on the head of my penis after sex. Exactly one week ago I become very ill.  I've had extreme fatigue, unexplained bumps on my lips, and vertigo.  Two days ago I thought the worst was over; the fatigue had waned and I began to feel better. But yesterday I broke out all over my arms and torso in a morbilliform rash.  I have tested negative for mono and HIV three days ago, though the HIV test would still be negative despite acute HIV infection.  My questions are as follows: Does the HIV acute rash always appear at the same time as the onset of other symptoms, or does it appear in a more piecemeal way, perhaps after other symptoms have resolved?  Also, does the rash always appear with a fever?  I have had no fever during this illness.  I feel as if this must be acute HIV infection, and that my doctors, by simply giving me an antibody test, are not doing enough to help me.
Thanks for your response, but it's hard to forget when the rash is on your face.
Avatar n tn
Absence of fever and sore throat is a good sign. 70% of people experiencing ARS have fever, sore throat and rash. Also, you tested negative around 3.5 weeks when 75-80% of people who are going to be positive will have positive antibody test. I think odds are in your favor. If you can find a clinic, ask for Duo test. If that is negative, you can be around 99% sure that you didn't get HIV. Then you can get an antibody test at 12 weeks to be 100% sure. Best wishes.
Symptoms or lack of will never tell you anything about your status. The only way to know your status is by testing.
ok for a start how do you know that your rash is mobilliform, has it been diagnosed?  All of the symptoms of ARS come on at the same time and go at the same time hence why it is called a syndrome.

You had a risk and you need to test however, as you were the top things are much more in your favour as tranmission is less likely this way but not impossible.

if you are able to get a HIV DUO then I would recommend it at this stage and then I would recommend nou re-test at 13 weeks.  If the result now is negative then I would be very confident that the test at 13 weeks willl also be negative.  If you are unable to get a combo then wait until 6 weeks to test and then again re-test at 13 weeks.

I think you will come out of this ok I will however caution you that unprotected penetrative sex is a risk regardless and the fact that you stated you didn't want to means you need to be confident is insisting on condoms everytime you engage in penetrative sex.  No exceptions.
Zamzam, the rash was diagnosed by a Dermatologist, who was under the erroneous impression that HIV related symptoms do not surface until 6 months post infection.  

Teak, I appreciate your opinion but stick to the question.  I asked whether a morbilliform rash occurs simultaneously with other symptoms or more piecemeal during an acute HIV infection.
Did you have a risk or not?
Yes there was a risk, obviously.  Had I not been intoxicated at the time, this never would have happened, but I can't take that back now.  
Well your dermatologist has no idea what he is talking about so ignore anything he has to say.

As far as Teaks response go I think you need to chill out a bit, you came on here for help and got CORRECT answers.  The comment that symptoms of lack of will tell you nothing about your status is absolutely correct.  All symptoms (if it is ARS) will occur simultaneously not sequentially.  I already said that, they come at the same time they go at the same time.

Look, at the end of the say you had unprotected sex which is a risk.  Period.  You can analyse and pontificate the issue as much as you want but nothing we can say will tell you your status.  Get tested, its that simple.
This forum does not discuss symptoms because HIV has no specific symptoms. Also your dermatologist doesn't have a clue about HIV if your were told HIV related symptoms do not surface until 6 months post exposure.
I think you're misreading me, zamzam4.  I'm not being combative. And yes, I am asking for help, but I think as far as Teak's response is concerned, it sidesteps answering my question to instead address my motive, which I can't help but read as a little offensive because it is 1. dismissive and 2. it still leaves me hanging.  Maybe my main motivation is just to ask "Do you think I have HIV."  To which there is no possible answer other than a test.  I know that.  But with a little empathy, you might understand why someone who is sick and suspects that they have ARS may want to know the progression of acute HIV symptoms.
Also, I don't want to argue.  I'm not angry.  Thanks for the advice, and Teak, you're right on both counts, my dermatologist doesn't know about HIV.  That in itself is troubling for several reasons.
Did you have unprotected penetrative sex?

I can give you as much empathy as you want or need but you still haven't actually told us what your risk was and until you do I for one will not address any further symptom questions.

I know it may seem harsh but symptoms mean nothing risk does.  You may find that you didn't even have a risk.

I have just re-read your post and apologis you aleady stated at the beginning that you had unprotected sex.  It is late where I am and I misread, I am sorry for that.

The thing is I get where you are at, you had a risk and now you are micro examining your body for signs of HIV. The issue is that HIV cannot give you this.

I cannot answer your question do you think I hae HIV, only a test can tell you that. What I can say is that your symptoms are not indicative of HIV and as  already said as you were the top ratheer than the bottom this is also in your favour, this does not  mean however that you have not put ourself at risk.

Can you get a combo done?
I will ask my doctor for a combo. Is that also called ag ab or something? My family physician says to test 6 months post exposure but almost everything else indicates that 3 months is conclusive.  In general there seems to be a troubling amount of confusion and/or misinformation surrounding HIV in medical professionals working here in South Carolina.  I've only felt confident that people working at the the MUSC E.R. or nurses at the state health department knew what they were talking about.  
I don't know how it works in the US as far as types of tests goes.

You can test using a standard test at 6 weeks and again at 13 for a conclusive result, you do not need to test out to 6 months.
I was feeling ok, went to brush my teeth, and now I have thrush on my tongue.  I'm very concerned.  Should I expect this to resolve itself or should I go to a doctor, yet again.
Unless your were diagnosed by a doctor or dentist you don't know if you have thrush or not. Thrush is not HIV specific.
Doc says it is Black Hairy Tongue.  I wish this was over.
The only way its going to be over is when you collect your test result.At 6 weeks you can obtain a highly reliable and almost 99% conclusive result.All the best.
Also, I remembered this saying, Teak.  I think you'll enjoy it.  

He who has himself as a physician, has a fool for a patient.  Something like that.
I have had all possible HIV Symptomes incl. fever and all my test comes out negativ!!!
After 5 weeks, at 7 weeks, at 8 weeks and at 12 weeks and 2 days!
You can see that Symptomes are saying nothing....try to relax a bit!!!

BR
Dirk
Yes its true, Symptoms tells nothing about HIV status, every human beings gets illness
and stress and anxiety are most causes for the same for all folks suffer from hiv fear after exposure

dont go with any symptoms, just test at 6 weeks for excellent indication of your status and carry on for 3 months conclusive result
Thanks nervenwrack and balaji72 for the comforting words and advice.  I am trying to relax.  It's difficult to describe exactly why I'm so worried, but the fact that I didn't want insertion, didn't want unprotected anal sex, said NO, and yet the guy inserted my penis in him anyway -- that fact has ruined my nerves and caused me to wake up every night of this illness in terror of the news to come.  You see, only someone without a care for himself or others would do that.  That's probably what scares me.  It wasn't exactly assault but close enough.  Maybe he even knew he had HIV.  Who knows. I've never had unprotected sex before, and all it takes is one time.  I don't want to be sick forever on account of that jerk.  I'm still really scared.  Still have a rash, and my throat is still somewhat sore.  I'll try to chill out.  I just want a second chance but I'm so pissed off at myself for even being in that position.
How long has it been now since the incident?

If you were the top then the likelihood of transmitting HIV is less likely that if you were the bottom (receptive partner) add to that that I sounds like it was very brief penetration I would say there is a good chance that you will come out of this ok.

You need to do your best to relax, you have already been told that symptoms mean nothing.  Stress, anxiety and more common everydays illnesses can cause all of the symptoms you have told us about.
It's been almost five weeks.
I have been diagnosed with Molluscum Contagiosum.  Keep it coming. ><
Has nothing to do with HIV.
Test at 6 weeks like you have already been advised and then again at 13 weeks for a 100% conclusive result.