HIV Prevention Community
Acute Retroviral Syndrome Symptoms?
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Acute Retroviral Syndrome Symptoms?

About 5 weeks ago I had unprotected anal sex with a guy(i was the top) I met on the internet. It was my first time ever doing it and I feel like a complete idiot. I have been so scared for five weeks that I have HIV. Ive had some symptoms and I wanted to clarify. The next day I started to feel sick, my head hurt, runny nose and cough. it went away after a couple of days so I thought it was a cold. I asked the guy if he was HIV negative and he said he was but for some reason I really dont believe him. So I kept bothering him and asking him to tell me the truth and he said he didnt and i still kept bothering him so he stopped responding. So after 2 weeks, I went and got a blood test done for all STDs and it came out negative, cause of the window period. They told me that with the blood test itll show up after 2 to four weeks so I went yesterday at the 5 week mark. After two weeks though I started getting more symptoms, muscle aches, sore throat, a little bit of coughing but not really a fever. I also had a loss of apetite and diarreha. I also have had chest pain and shortness of breath for the past 2 weeks. Thats the only one that has actually stayed. I have been so scared and nervous that I have HIv. all of these symptoms come and go but most dont come around the same time, is that possible? today I noticed I started getting a little bit of shaky hands, and i dont know if thats a symptom either. I dont know if this is stress of if this is ARS, please help :(
Related Discussions
25 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Symptoms or lack of symptoms will never be reliable about your status. You can test 3 months post exposure to obtain a conclusive test result.
Blank
I know but with the symptoms that I am having is it possible that I do have it? because none of these symptoms come at the same time
Blank
There is no use speculating about symptoms.Hiv is never diagnosed on the basis of symptoms alone.An hiv test at 3months post -exposure will give you the answer you require.All the best.
Blank
but is it possible to have symptoms come at all different times for ARS?
Blank
Ars symptoms are specific symptoms that generally last about 1 to 2 weeks.They don't come and go.
Blank
Your symptoms don't resemble those of acute HIV infection. The first set of symptoms you describe is simply a cold (and they came on way too early anyway), and in the second set you don't mention fever, which is almost always present in those who develop ARS (and not everyone does). Even in people who have classic ARS symptoms, the vast majority turn out to have a garden-variety virus- you can't go by them because they are non-specific. And many of your symptoms sound consistent with stress/anxiety.

Your tests will tell you whether you were infected. A negative at 5 weeks would be reassuring and likely to remain negative at 3 months. You need to take the focus off your body and shift it toward your test results as that's the only way to know.
Blank
thanks! but i started getting a fever today.... it like comes and goes.
Blank
"You need to take the focus off your body and shift it toward your test results as that's the only way to know."
Blank
Okk one last question.. I know I'm sorry for asking another one but its also hurting me underneath my armpits where there are lymph nodes.
Blank
Reread the replies that you have already received.
Blank
Regardless of your symptoms,only a test 3months post-exposure will provide you with the answer you seek.
Blank
Take an HIV test and remove all anxiety. Your symptoms do not indicate that you have HIV or ARS .
Blank
I know I said I wouldn't say anything again but I just realized I forgot to tell you guys that I got all these tiny red dots right above my pubic area, and it didn't itch or anything at all. So I don't know if it could be an ARS rash or not. What are they usually like?
Blank
by joggen , Apr 03, 2011 11:33PM
To: scaredguy1992
"You need to take the focus off your body and shift it toward your test results as that's the only way to know."
Blank
Ok I know but I just wanna know if it's possible it could be the rash..
Blank
by joggen , 52 minutes ago
by joggen , Apr 03, 2011 11:33PM
Blank
Ok I understand that but it's just something that I'm wondering.. Cause it was 20 small tiny dots and it went away after 2 days and right now I have like 5 it's been like 3 weeks since I had the other ones. This is my final question I promise.
Blank
This is the last question on symptoms that I'm going to answer. The ARS rash is a large body rash that appears all over the trunk and it typically occurs with other symptoms such as severe sore throat and high fever. What you describe doesn't resemble ARS.
Blank
Ok thank you! I really appreciate it. Have a good night! And I'll let you guys know of my results!
Blank
Understand this my friend,you can go on about symptoms until the cows come home,it won,t change the fact that only at 3months post-exposure will you know your result,everything before that date is insignificant.
Blank
Understand this my friend,you can go on about symptoms until the cows come home,it won,t change the fact that only at 3months post-exposure will you know your result,everything before that date is insignificant.
Blank
My 5 week test came back negative! :) I feel so relieved. They told me the window period was 3 to 4 weeks and that I'm for sure negative because it was 5 weeks after! Thank you guys for all your help!
Blank
The window period is 4 weeks to 3 months. A conclusive negative test is 3 months post exposure.
Blank
I'm intrigued, for I'm practically in the exact same situation as you are. I hope you don't mind if I ask, what were the results of the 3 month tests?
Blank
Look at the date on the post.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979