HIV Prevention Community
Almost Suicidal-I think Its over

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Almost Suicidal-I think Its over

IN NEED OF SERIOUS ATTENTION ALMOST SUICIDAL>
I had sex with a prostitute in kenya, she supplied the condoms, we had vaginal sex, the first time we had sex and condom broke after 5 minutes (it felt tight and as though i was rubbing on some rough place) and i was inside her for 10 seconds after it broke, she gave me another condom , this broke as well after 6 minutes, i had two strokes where i felt her wetness just as i pulled out to ejaculate!!! i had been in her for another 6 seconds without a condom,i then used a durex fro my jacket and it did not break, , the condoms that broke were kenyan manufactured condoms, the sad thing is i realised i have a small bruise under the tip of my penis, which i did not know was there.  I realised this when i woke up later that day, I had cleaned up with dettol antibacterial after the ordeal felt a sting but thought nothing of it,we were both bit drunk so i had not noticed.I got so scared after having sex with her at 3 times lasted until 7am from about 6:30am,  i went to the doctors at 14:00pmafter getting up, they did an elisaHiv 1 and 2 test and i was negative, because of exposure the doc prescribed combivir PEP, which i took 16 hrs after the exposure, by the way in the same after noon i had two beers 3 hrs before takin PEP cause of the stress. Im currently on the PEP (Combivir) 10am and 10pm now,.I went back to see the doctor at another hospital 3 days later,Took the girl for a test and she is hiv positive, and I think she knew it.(thats another conversation, she had lied all along, we got to find out she was seeing a hiv specialist at the same hospital , we dont have access to her records but im thinking of taking her to court, as my doctor stated) on same day (day 3)the doctor carried out hep b and c tetsts (core) and vrld  testson me and they all came back neg and they gave me pills to cover syphillis (syphilis), gonhorea, vaginitis, syphillis (syphilis) jab etc After 80hrs of exposure doc also added alluvia PEP two pills each morning 10 am and 10pm alongside the combivir, he says it wont harm and was not happy with just combivir,  The cut under my glan hapened during sex, doctor put it down as trauma/abrassion-i told him i did not see it bleed, he says it was caused by the girls dryness.Today is day 7-dry cough not much, and mild sore throat. What do you think of the PEP? What do you think of me having a PCR test even though my doc says wait to finish 28day PEP and then do the test 4 weeks or 2 weeks after? Whats the chances of friction causing bleeding to the penis glan? what are the chances of HIV entering the cut? I was in her without a conddom 30 secs top, they both broke, if not i would not have sex without one!!!!!
Well, for starters, I can certainly understand the anxiety you would have after this incident...but before you do something rash, there are many things to consider here.

First, was her + test confirmed with a western blot?  If not, she is not confirmed + yet.  I'm not saying she isn't +, she very well may be...but before you jump the gun, understand that any + test must be validated with a confirmatory test (wb).  Until that occurs, you can't say with certainty that she is infected.

Secondly, you started nPEP within the 72 hour time frame.  When that occurs, nPEP, if taken correctly, and for the entire duration (usually close to a month), it can be up to 85% effective in inhibiting the virus, preventing transmission.

My advice for you is to have a DUO test t 4 weeks.  IF you are indeed infected, there is a good chance you would test + by then.  Understand however, that you won't be able to conclusively say you're negative until you test at 3 months after YOUR LAST DOSE OF nPEP. If the DUOP is negative, I think it is reasonable to take another standard antibody (ELISA) test at around the 8 week mark.  If THAT test is negative, it would be a very good sign.

Lastly...suicide is never an option, no matter the circumstance.  IF you are unfortunate enough to have become infected as a result of this exposure, it is NOT the end of the world.  PLENTY of people live long lives after being diagnosed with HIV.  It is NOT the death sentence it once was.  Of course it would be very upsetting, and it would be something you would have to deal with forever...but in NO way is it a reason to harm yourself,.  If you feel strongly about that, then you need to seek immediate mental health help.

Don't put the cart before the horse. In the grand scheme of things, IF she is truly infected...yes, you had a high risk, but infection is not guaranteed.  You actually have a pretty good chance of coming out of this okay...especially with the nPEP.  Thankfully, HIV is not an easy virus to transmit.  You have many things working in your favor...the fact that most of the intercourse was protected, the fact that the duration of the sex that was not protection was brief, and the promptness in which you sought medical attention and the nPEP.

Once day at a time...that's all you can do.
Even if the condom broke your chances of contracting HIV is 1 in 2000 (from vaginal sex). Let it be a good lesson for you. I suggest you be patient and get tested after 4 weeks. You can repeat the tests each month. I am sure the result will be negative. But keep in touch and let us know about the progress. And never ever go to prostitute again.
Thanks for the information, Ill have to hold out, today i woke up with pain on my left side of the body under my ribs, i feel this PEP is really strong!!!!!Combivir is not even the best i hear, but since im on it ill continue!!! What is a duo test, PCR???
Thanks , this is the worst experiwnce ever ince that day i dont pick my calls and i dont sit with family in the living room, i cant bear to look at anyone, I hate the day it happened, and the girl is a liar , a complete liar!!! she has not had  a western blot but im sure she has it, cause y would she be seeing a hiv specilist, she did a kit test and an elisa!!
You can't assume anyone has HIV.
She tested positive on uni gold kit alongside another kit and also turned positive on elisa, plus i had abrasions occur during sex, which means she may have had abrasions too, i did not see any blood and she says she did not bleed, but she lieas alot..............Im on PEP hope it works and God can give me this one more chance I promise to never again!!
Hi should i take a hiv duo test whilst on PEP
Yes, you can.
Thanks im scared to have a test now
Thanks , im not doing sso good, headache, running stomach, tired etc. PEP (combivir) is very strong, Went for dinner last night, day 8 after exposure was the first day i vomited......the drugs, as soon s i take em and eat, somethingb goes wrong........is it still early for symptoms of HIV??? day 8 , Im wondering if i should do the pcr test on day 11 or wait to finnish pep!!!Is combivir as good as truvada!!???

16 hrs i was prescribed combivir

80hrs i was prescribed alluvia

Is it ok that i only had combivir to start with!!??
elisa and unigold was positive, she drinks alot as well/alcoholic just found out, im not assuming but she was positive in both the tests, they both cant be wrong even if she had drunk a ton the night before, im being told alcohal (alcohol)
does not affect test results , thanks mate
Her status will not tell you anything about your status. Just because you had you had sex with someone that was positive doesn't mean you'll contract HIV. You were protected until the condom failed and no alcohol will not affect the test results. No one is positive until after their test has been confirmed.
Just because you had you had sex with someone that was positive doesn't mean you'll contract HIV. You were protected until the condom failed and no alcohol will not affect the test results. No one is positive until after their test has been confirmed. .

Amen!

You are letting your anxiety take over.  While we don't usually discuss odds, in your case...for purposes of making you understand...the odds really ARE in your favor.  Yes, you had a risk...but like I already said, a lot of factors are in your favor.  The brevity of the unprotected sex, and the nPEP both significantly decrease your chances of becoming infected.  While I certaionly cannot make any guarantees, I would bet you're going to be just fine.

Fearing a test just isn't an option here.  I know you're anxious, but you had a risk and you must test.  NOT knowing doesn't change your reality.  Even if you are unfortunate enough to become infected...you need to know about it so you can start seeing the approproate doctor.  Your life wouldn't end because you had HIV.  Most likely, your tests will help put your mind at ease with negative results.

But, like we've said...chances are you won't be infected...so get tested at the appropriate times and soon enough, you'll know where you stand.  The nPEP does cause some significant side effects.  If the nausea and vomiting are becoming very bad, see your doctor.  There are anti-nausea medications you could be prescribed to help counteract those side effects.  It's very important that you take the meds as prescribed...don't miss any doses.
Thanks for the reply............its definately an eye opener............I feel tired this morning, had a meeting at 9, its now 10am and im still in bed..........very unusual....feel deepressed.......ill pick myself up and  go see me mum or something like that........the fact that  she is not confirmed by western blot and may not have it is low, but i get the point.............i will get tested supposed to do a pcr this week, if i dont do it ill definately do the duo test like you said...............Apparently the girl had been seeing a specialist, I want to pay him a visit if i can and find out about the situation, i doubt he'll say much................ill update you all ...................I do realise with an abrasion my chances of contracting hiv are higher, but like you said I have to keep hoping and praying........good day to all and God bless
today I have a cold and cough, 10 days after exposure minor sore throat, and minor cough, are these the firdt dymptoms of HIV??

No, they are symptoms of a cold or allergy.
combivir 16 hrs after exposure

and alluvia 80 hrs after exposure does this make any sense!!!! I dont know why the doc did not give me a tripler from the start.......first line...etc  so heart breaking and unbelievable, thats what i get for working in this country!!!! im sure a doc in UK would have known
No it doesn't make any sense at all.
Thanks, i thought so too......Is this combivir good enough , double tablet???
Last  two days been having some serious diahorrea, more than before, are this side effects of the meds??? or hiv signs
hi just wondering should i do a pcr test ????
They probably are side effects of medication or maybe a viral infection, not HIV symptoms.

Why test while your on medication? You keep wanting to test and test and test but it's not going to do anything now for you. 4 weeks after PEP is finished have a Duo test.
But 3 month antibody test is conclusive
Thanks fir your post, Im trying my best to hold it together, reafing my bible etc............going crazy here ............i have not tested and will wait past the 4th week mark, doc says so too..........please all pray for me, I cant take it!!!! hope all turns out ok.....im really grateful for you all......today is day 16 and still have a cough, I was feeling the cold yesterday but much better today, still have random coughs....muscle pain here and there, esp last night..............feel like a chest infection !!

approaching end of wk3 after exposure, praying hard, and taking the meds......had a cold since the weekend....no feverd just a cold, wondering if to get antibiotics??

Hi mark, I have read your statement, and i wish you all the best. God bless you and I ope you are find bro
Thanks very much really appreciate it, last 2 n a half weeks have been hell!!!!!! cant think cant work cant sleep much without thinking about that one night......The PEP is combivir, so not forst line but hoping it works, I been praying loads and reading the bible, have not had a test, and will be done with PEP on 2nd of march, then wait to test................I believe the Lord God will guide me and others in my position, really thanks for the support mate!!
Today has been the worst, woke up ok, then took the pills, then had my breakfast and an hour later it was all down the loo( sorry for the graphic image) headaches eye straining, loss of weight stomach aches are the worst, I have 6 more days on PEP and then a test GOD HELP ME PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Done with PEP on 2nd of march, Im yet to test, doc says wait another week to do the duo!!! Im coughing , unfortunately apparently the girl had TB before..............I hope i aint caught it too, im supposed to test for that , i think, ill tell the doc when i go in!!!!!! world just turned upside down!!!

WTH
As rightly pointed by nursegirl follow it... And yes All prostitutes do not have HIV and all decent looking women r not HIV negative... In future always play safe as life is beautiful and sex is just a part in it....