HIV Prevention Community
Am I at risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Am I at risk

I know I can get a little paranoid so be nice okay?

Yesterday at work I cut myself with a pair of office scissors. The cut wasn't deep but it did bleed forever. Could I be at risk? I know the chances of someone having HIV using the scissors, cutting themselves & then me cutting myself with them or rare, but could it be possible?

Also, this question is unrelated, but I am curious. I have read others ask if they could get HIV by being poked with a sewing needle and the answer is always "no risk." What is the difference with a needle used to share drugs & a sewing needle? I thought a needle was a needle.
let's just "say" that the scissors had blood on them from a person who has hiv.  once hiv is exposed to air, it becomes inactive and unable to infect...but since you admit to reading the forum...i'm going to assume that you've already read this.  this would be a NO RISK scenario.

the difference between the two types of needles is a sewing needle doesn't have an opening in it and a needle used for drawing blood / injecting drugs, is hollow bore...allowing something to pass through it.
Thanks for yor quick reply. :)

Another question (& now I am just curious... not anything do to with my scissors mishap). If HIV is inactive once exposed to air than why does most medical assistance use gloves? The open wounds they might be exposed to are hitting air, right?