HIV Prevention Community
Am I right to be worried ?
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Am I right to be worried ?

Upon going to a 20th birthday party last night I fear I have come into contact with the HIV virus. I have a small cut on my left thumb, enough to penetrate the skin and possibly expose blood. It is around 1.5cm in length but width and deepness only around 0.1 - 0.2cm. Upon cleaning the toilet seat and flooring (2-3 seperate occasions) as it was my best friends house I cleaned it with toilet paper. I have awoken today with a fairly bad cold of which I rarely get (I have read that a fever following initial transmission is an early indicator of being HIV positive). I have no idea what the contents of the liquid that I cleaned up were (I would possibly suggest Urine, possibly Saliva and maybe semen) and I'm really worried that I have contracted the virus. Should I be worried or am I being a hypochondriac and melodramatic ?
Related Discussions
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
No you didn't have a risk of contracting HIV.
Blank
How confident do you feel about the risk ?
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
100%

hiv is transmitted through UNPROTECTED vaginal/anal intercourse...sharing of iv drug works...and mother to child.
Blank
It is reassuring to hear from your positive replies, however I can imagine semen getting into the cut of mine could pose a threat even if it was on the floor amid other contaminants and I used toilet paper ? Today I have suffered especially from Hay Fever maybe it could be an indication of a weakened immune system ?

Could I just get a medical doctor to double check with you people ? how would I go about this ? I heard medical doctors visit these forums ?
Again, thanks ever so much for all your replies, a grand job.
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
sure you can.  click on forums at the top of the page and scroll down to hiv in the RIGHT hand column.  pay your $15.00 dollars and ask away.  

be prepared for the same answer we gave you though
Blank
Thanks Lizzie, I was misinformed in that I thought doctors wrote back to you for free. I shall heed your advice in that I am ok. You all seem adamant that my health is ok, and thanks for all of the replies.
Blank
Just some background knowledge but I live in a place with a population of around 550,000 in the entire county and roughly about 200 people have HIV, even with your reassuring advice i still feel I have contracted it. In recent weeks I have had a cold, hay fever and a chest infection and I never ever get them. I've scared myself in the past about diseases and cancers and they've all turned out negative so would you say I am a hypochondriac ? Is there a way to get past all of this ?
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
seek the help of a mental health professional.
Blank
you had NO RISK AT ALL. Move on with your life and injoy
Blank
So I definetly 100% had no risk, not even a little bit ?
Blank
Do you think I should get tested or is it a complete waste of time, money and energy ?
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
you had no risk...why would you think we'd tell you to get tested?  geeeeeeeez!!!!!

do whatever you want...........you're not listening anyway.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...