HIV Prevention Community
Am I safe now? Time to stop worrying?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Am I safe now? Time to stop worrying?

Hi everyone,

I posted on here a while ago about an exposure I had that was now just over 10 weeks ago. My exposure was unprotected vaginal sex with a woman that I did not know (I am a male). I do not know her status at all.

I was tested at the 8 weeks and 2 days after the exposure and I got my results today and the were negative for HIV. Is this a good indicator that I am not infected? I am going back in two weeks for one more HIV test and that will be at just over 12 weeks since the exposure. Is it likely that my results will change from the 8 week test? Can I stop worrying so much now?

Thank you.
Your 8 week negative result is an EXCELLENT indication that you werenot infected!  Re-test at 3 months for a conclusive just to be safe....but keep in mind that neither doc here in the expert forums (nor myself professionally) have ever seen a neg result turn POS after 6 weeks!
Avatar n tn

Thank you very much for your reply! I am testing at 12 weeks just to be 100% sure.

So can I just move on now and pretty much forget about HIV from this exposure?
You can but 3-months will give you 100%.
Avatar n tn

Alright thank you very much. Everyone's comments on here are greatly appreciated!