HIV Prevention Community
An FAQ?

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

An FAQ?

Has anyone posted (or considered posting) an FAQ about HIV risks?

I can only imagine how insane it must drive the docs and folks like Teak and Liz to answer the same question a million times over. I think a lot of the problem and fear comes from the very vague information and strangely-framed statistics on official health sites.

Myself, when I read what the government STD clinics had to say about HIV and STDs I was concerned! I have always used protection but some of the info out there implies that even with a condom you can contract HIV 5% to 50% of the time! If so, shouldn't we have a pandemic by now?
Jim, there are some websites that have F&Q sections and some have lessons, but I've found no matter how much information you give, some just don't or won't comprehend.
Avatar n tn
I hear ya about folks not comprehending. Sometimes it takes folks like yourself to just say "You're not at risk" to make someone feel better. Me included!

On the topic, aren't STD clinic websites and health sites doing the public a disservice by posting statistics that are framed so poorly? For example, calling "vaginal intercourse with a condom" a "Low Risk" activity -- and not providing more details! -- must create so much anxiety!
From your name and your post it sounds like you have some abstinance based agenda my friend.
Avatar n tn
chapeau, rest assured abstinence is the farthest thing from my mind. :)

(I chose PadreJim because I like to dress in black a lot, and because Jim is my first name. I'm not even religious.)
Alright then...
Whatever his "agenda" might be (and even if it were abstinence based), this is not a bad idea. Though, I would probably agree with Teak here in that a FAQ probably would not address the needs of 95% of the people who post here, most of whom just desire a word that addresses their own situations directly.

Still, probably wouldn't hurt.
I don't disagree with abstinance, in fact i think that @ certain times in or lives we must make a concience effort to abstain from sex. Mine was merly an observation and nothing more...