HIV Prevention Community
Another question for unprotected oral sex

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Dear Doctors:
      I am from China.I  asked a question about the risk of unprotected oral sex a few days ago and Teak has given me a definite answer.Thank you very much, Teak.But my symptons have lasted for amolst six years,such as thirsty all the time、white tongue coating、 fatigue and so on. Moreover,more typical symptons ,which are so similar with the depiction of the carriers ,occured during the acute infection period. And recently, a post on a famous forum claimed that she was infected hiv by protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex with male net-friends(10+times one night stand).
     Your opinions on the risk of oral sex are so definite. My question is whether your opinions are based on experiments or investigations. Could you explain the principles to me? Thank you So much.I know I am a coward. I am afraid of facing the truth. I am ashamed of  my behaviors six years ago. I am begging for the forgiveness of Buddha all the time.
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
HIV is not spread by oral sex, giving or receiving, even if sores, gum disease or blood is present
DR HOOK
The fact is that there are no cases in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted by oral sex, including fellatio..  EWH
So oral sex is still a way to transmit hiv.
No oral sex is not a way HIV is transmitted.
Thank you so much,Teak.But Why so many doctors or experts claim it's a way.I think different opinions base on different "facts",right?
Can't help with the information that you read from uneducated doctors that have no background in HIV.
Thank you,Teak! You always comfort me!
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/behavior/oralsex.html
Dear Teak, What about this?
"What is known is that HIV has been transmitted through fellatio, cunnilingus, and anilingus."
It shocks me! If I don't have the ARS syptoms (symptoms) and continous syptoms (symptoms), I will not feel so fear.
My wife was tested  negative twice last April for some compulsory reasons.But I still do not have the courage to be tested. My wife is going to have once more test soon. I feel so guilty and fear. I am pushing her to danger again and again just because of my weakness.If she is negative, I think I can accept any result to me.

Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

DR. HANSFIELD

I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
DR HOOK
Sorry,Teak. One more question(the last one).As we all know, HIV viral load in the breast milk is lower than the semen.Why breast-feeding is a way to transmit from mother to child whereas oral sex perfomer can't be infected even if ejaculation happens.
Children don't have mature immune systems.
http://articles.philly.com/1996-06-07/news/25629740_1_siv-aids-expert-evidence-of-hiv-infection
To their surprise, they discovered that the minimum dose needed to infect the monkeys orally was 6,000 times lower than the minimum dose needed to infect them through the anus.

Ruprecht said all the monkeys used in the experiment were healthy. They did not have cuts, lesions or sores in the mouth or anus that might have provided easy access to the bloodstream.

She said it was not clear exactly how the SIV reached the animals' blood. Her hypothesis is that the gateway might be through cells on the tonsils.

``Our animal study showed for the first time that free virus, when placed in the mouth, can reach the bloodstream even if there are no cuts in the mouth,'' Ruprecht said.
I am shocked!!!!!
No reason to comment on something that is not HIV and not in humans. Stop searching the net and coming here with this junk. The answer is not going to change. You don't have to believe what has been written, but nothing more for us to tell you.
The article (which was written in 1996, 17 years ago) goes on to say, "Monkeys aren't people. SIV isn't the same virus as HIV,''  

This question has been asked and answered many times, and this thread is now closed.

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE