Anxiety growing day by day
Hi Doc,

I hope you'll be able to answer my questions. I am a 26 year old male, living in London and I have had unprotected sex with an Eastern European sex worker on 17th October 2010. I know that was not very considerate from my part. Since then, I have been very anxious, checking out HIV symptoms on every possible website.

I had some fever around 12th November 2010 which lasted a few days, accompanied by some very strong productive coughs. I did not have any swollen glands, at least I did not notice any and I did not have any rash at all. There was a bout of flu/tonsilitis going around in my workplace at that time. I must say that the coughing took quite some time to subside.

I had some flu symptoms again around 16th December. The fever went away very quickly (high temperature and chills during one night) but again the coughing took at least two weeks to go away. It was less productive this time, but it was not a dry cough. I still did not have any swollen glands nor any rash, but the fact that I have had flu symptoms twice in two months is very worrying. Moreover, the strong coughing has caused some pain to my right ribs (just under and on the outside of the right breast) which still has not gone away. I must say that I contaminated every one of my housemates, and some of them are still coughing.

I can feel some discomfort in my neck region and I am constantly trying to feel my neck with my fingers just to make sure I do not have swollen glands. I hope the discomfort I am feeling is just due to anxiety.

I am very anxious, Dr. and I am not being brave enough to have an HIV test.

I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you for that great website.

Regards,
Rob.
You did have a risk by having unprotected sex.

a test a 3 months will determine your status, however a negative test at 6 weeks is not likely to change,.

I believe that is not ARs,you are suffering from anxiety, stress .  dont put yourself at risk, wear condoms.
ok thank you for your answer.

One more question: do you know if HIV symptoms tend to come at the same time? Because like I told you, I didn't have rash or swollen glands (well concerning the latter I'm no expert to be able to detect them anyway)

Thank you.
If one gets symptoms they come on at 2-4 weeks and last 1-2 weeks.
A test now (basically 3 months) is fine and will give you a conclusive result.
have a DUO test which is quite common in ur country after 4+weeks post exposure.it is going to detect 99% of infections.then retest after 12 weeks.
Where are you getting your information that DUO tests are 99% effective at 4 weeks? I haven't seen any test studies to support your reply.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/hiv-ag-ab-test-at-28-days/show/1243160
dr h.h.h:2) Mostly we agree with Teak's advice on the community forum.  However, he is mistaken about the Duo test, i.e. combined test for HIV antibody and p24 antigen.  A negative Duo test at 28 days is virtually 100% proof against a new HIV infection.  Your test result proves you weren't infected.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/HIV-tests/show/1343592
dr hook:1.  The DUO tests are highly accurate tests which test for both the HIV p24 antigen and HIV antibodies. Because it tests for more than just the antibodies, definitive test results are available sooner than with antibody tests.  Most experts agree that a negative DUO test at 4 week following exposure is proof that a person did not get HIV.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/HIV-Duo-Test----28-Day-Test/show/255682
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/HIV-Tests---Peace-of-Mind/show/1431355
dr.h.h.hYou "heard" correctly.  The combo test (HIV antibody and p24 antigen) is virtually 100% reliable by 4 weeks after exposure.  
there are many more.im tired of copy pasting.
if you need further info just go and type duo test in hiv prevention or international forum.you will find all you need .
DEAR TEAK
I REALLY DON'T MEAN TO DOUBT YOUR KNOWLEDGE BUT AS YOU CAN SEE THIS IS WHAT ALL THE EXPERTS TELLING.I'M NOT TALKING OF MY SELF.
BEST REGARDS
CNA
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBloodProducts/ApprovedProducts/LicensedProductsBLAs/BloodDonorScreening/InfectiousDisease/UCM216314.pdf

Page 27
Current methods for the detection of HIV may not detect all infected individuals. An ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo test result that is nonreactive does not exclude the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV-1 and/or HIV-2. Nonreactive results in this assay for individuals with prior exposure to HIV-1 and/or HIV-2 may be due to antigen and antibody levels below the limit of detection of this assay.

UK testing guidelines.
Post-test discussion

The need for a repeat HIV test if still within the window period after a specific exposure should be discussed. Although fourth generation tests shorten the time from exposure to seroconversion a repeat test at three months is still recommended to definitively exclude HIV infection.

http://www.bhiva.org/documents/Guidelines/Testing/GlinesHIVTest08.pdf
Hi teak i am a big fan of you. You are doing such a great job. Sorry but dont mind i am not being critical or anything. You say oral sex isnt a risk but if you go to any of the US govt websites CDC or UK NHS website you will find it as a risk altough low. I also beleive its more of a theoretical risk but thats not the point you seem to contradict yourself. On one side you quote dr HHH & dr Hook for oral sex & dismiss CDC & on the other side when they & other experts in europe say duo test is conclusive you dismiss it. I mean either you should take cdc stance on every thing or not. If you see the statistics even at three months antibody test is 99.96% accurate cuz in medicine there is no 100 percent. Ofcourse at three month it is more reliable but a duo test at 28 days is atleast 99 percent accurate which for everyone i guess is quite reassuring & atleast equivalent to 8 week antibody only test accuracy.

HIV antibody/antigen test (DUO test)

This test looks for HIV itself (p24 antigen) as well as the immune system’s reaction to infection (antibody). This means it detects HIV much sooner after infection than older tests. It can sometimes detect it as early as 2 weeks. By 4 weeks the test will pick up nearly everyone. The blood sample is sent to our laboratory and the result takes 3 working days.
http://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/jhc/aids-hiv-testing.html    (NHS UK Govt)
The Health Protection Agency are the UK’s leading experts in the performance of HIV tests. They advise that there is no test available guaranteed to pick up 100% of HIV infections before 3 months. As per UK guidelines, an additional HIV test should be offered to all persons at 3 months (12 weeks) to definitively exclude HIV infection.
I guess teak you are the same guy as rapid rod on aidsmeds forum you are simply a great guy sorry please dont mind it i have been following your advice for quite a long time & i have gained so much knowlege from your posts
Finally, Dr. Handsfield and I have been taking care of persons with and at risk for STDs, including HIV since before the HIV epidemic began.  If you do not want to believe us, that is your choice. We do not debate with other web sites.  EWH
Hi roobicon i am 22 year hetero from london too i am also going through this currently altough my exposure was protected but still anxiety is killing me. I would say everything will be fine mate just try to relax i will pray for you & i know u will be alrite & please wish me luck too  
This isn't an anxiety forum. You never had a risk.

"If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you."

Anxiety Forum-- http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Anxiety/show/71
This thread is now closed.

Emily

************************ CLOSED THREAD  *********************************
                       NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE