Anxious and comfused about the HIV window period
I've read on this forum that if you get an HIV test after 6 weeks of possible exposure you have over a 95% chance of getting an accurate result. Those odds definitely work for me. On the other hand I've also read on this forum that if your gay, as I am, you should wait the three months to get tested. I am not a promiscuous person but during the last 4 months I guess I've been going through a midlife crisis and have had four sexual encounters that involved me giving oral sex to 4 different men that I dated. I don't know the HIV status of these guys, although they all claim to be negative. My overall health is good, including my oral health. My question to the doctor is, can I be tested at 6 weeks- or do I have to be anxiety ridden for another 9 weeks until the three month mark. The anxiety really is killing me!
the current guideline is three months post exposure...doesnt matter who you are.
...and oral sex does not put one at risk for contracting hiv.