HIV Prevention Community
Approximate risk of HIV infection?

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Approximate risk of HIV infection?

Hi, im a gay male. About 2 weeks ago, I engaged in anal sex as the penetrated partner.  The sex began with him using a condom, but at some point about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through he had taken it off.  He didn't cum, thanks to his excessive drinking that night...but I was still exposed through unprotected sex.   He  told me the next day that he is HIV+, taking medications, and has an undetectable viral load.....he also said he was just diagnosed as having chlamydia.  I experienced a small amount of anal bleeding around my rectum afterwards.  I realize the sexual behavior is high risk.....but given the details, how likely would HIV infection be?   I have been to my doctor immediately after finding out is status, and he ran the normal std blood screenings....which came back negative for everything including HIV, however, that test would not have included antibodies from the recent exposure.  My doctor was not too keen on answering any sort of questions I had about tests or medications or anything...which has been a bit distressing for me.
You had an exposure and need to test. You can obtain your conclusive negative test 3 months post exposure.
Yes, but I was hoping for more infor regarding my situation.   I've got the paperwork for a 3 month blood test on my fridge.   I didn't know if there was information out there on how likely an infection would be for a negative "bottom" who had an unprotected experience with a "positive, but uondetectable top".     I know there is a risk, I know to get tested, I just can't find info on exactly how serious the risk/chance is in this situation.  
Three months is conclusive if your are bottom or top. Anal sex is one of the highest risk there are next to sharing works. Lesser for the one topping but still a risk.
As you will know you can test At 28 days this will help relive the stress but on a high risk exposure like your one would listen to teaks comment
Four weeks is to early to test if you want to test 6-8 weeks will give your a better outlook.
Can I add this quote

When does unprotected sex become a crime?

Since HIV transmission is silent and unseen, neither you nor your partner can know whether HIV has been transmitted during sex. So, there is a possibility that if your HIV-negative or untested partner tests HIV-positive, suspects that they were infected by you, and they complain to the police because you had not told them you were HIV-positive, you might be subject to a police investigation. If you are concerned about this, the best advice is to use condoms consistently for vaginal and anal sex, and/or to make sure your partner explicitly agrees to have sex with you, knowing you are HIV-positive.
What does that have to do with this thread?
I was simply showing its illegal to have unprotected sex knowing your hiv ie removing condom
The is a prevention forum and your statement has nothing to do with prevention.
Sorry new to this forum .
Hi Barker, I am in the same exact situation as yours. The only thing missing here is I didn't see any blood in my rectum when I cleaned.  How ever I researched alot on the same day and identified that nPEP will help in preventing the infection if you are recently exposed. But you have to be on medication within 72 hours of exposure. I went to the gay and lesbian health clinic and they checked my HIV antibody test and  it came negative and they immediately asked me to take the pill right away in the clinic  I started my medication on the same day and to be continued for 28 days .All we have to do is wait for two HIV tests. First one after 28 days and to be conclusive it should be after 3 months

We learned our lesson and the only person that can help us is GOD. I am sure the GOD will help both of us and we both will conclusive to Negative.
Yeah, I tried to get nPEP within the 72 hour period....I went to my physician, the ER, the health department, and 2 HIV testing clinics...all withing a day and a half.....and could not find anyone who would help me or who could tell me where to go to get the treatment.  So...I was out of luck getting nPEP....which I think this exposure warranted....especially since it was a recommended treatment according to the CDC.  I'm glad you were able to get it.  
What the guy did to me is most definitely a crime.   He did not disclose his HIV status to me until after he had had sex with me....and the fact that he unknowingly took the condom off during sex makes it even worse.   But good luck proving any of it.....it's all heresay, and where I live, no one will care anyway.  
Barker, Don't worry about it . You will be fine. I promise you will be fine... Just wait and your results will get negative. All the best for both of us.