HIV Prevention Community
Barber cut his finger on the blade

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Barber cut his finger on the blade

I had a worrying episode earlier this evening. I was having my haircut and the barber apparently cut his finger on the blade while he was shaving the back of my neck. I wasn't paying attention at the time but afterwards I saw him with tissue on his finger and he admitted to cutting it on the blade. He had carried on shaving my neck afterwards with the same blade as far as I am aware. He was wiping the shaving gel off the blade all the time so assume he wiped it but on top of this I am having an acne outbreak on the back of my neck that he would have shaved over. I have checked similar threads on here but they are all about the barber cutting the person by accident. Not the barber getting his own blood on the blade. So given this and the acne issue, is there any risk involved in what happened? I should point out that the barber is openly gay. I don't mean this in any derogatory way, but this does add to my concern. I understand what you say about the transmission routes of HIV but I am a worrier about HIV and so this is freaking me out now. Thanks for your advice.
No risk because HIV becomes inactive once exposed to air--also unless you had unprotected sex or shared IV drug works with the barber which I'm sure you did not then there is no risk.
Thanks RainLover but do others agree with this? If he cut his finger as he was actually shaving my neck would this make a difference? As in if the blood was completely fresh and there was not even one second for the virus to be exposed to the air. Would it still be inactive? Thank you.
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child
Avatar n tn
Even a great deal of blood outside?
Even a great deal. NO RISK.
it doesn't matter about the amount of blood or whether it's still wet,the virus in the blood is inactive outside the body.