HIV Prevention Community
Before testing. Please help

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Before testing. Please help

Dear all

I had an unprotected anal sex 3 months ago. the last test was taken in 11 weeks after the intercourse, I am going to do the 3 months test tomorrow. However, i am injected the booster of HBV vaccination today. Do you know whether it would influence the accuracy of the HIV test? I am going to have a duo test tomorrow, whether the p24 antigen would become detectable due to the hbv antigen injected into my body on today?
Get the correct test and you won't have a concern.
Thank you sir. whether the duo test is a correct test?
The DUO test is not the correct test. All you need is an antibody test.
thank you sir. but the duo test detect the p24 and hiv 1,2 antibodies together. Because this clinic just offer this test. is the duo test less sensitive or reliable than traditional test?
The antigen part of the test is only good after week1 and not after the 4th week.
Dear sir

I am confused of that. So sorry to ask you a question that. after 3 months whether the tests are same? or i cannot believe the result of HIV duo test i can only do a hiv antibody test?
If you are paying for it the standard antibody test is cheaper.
Thank you sir. I got that. whether i can understand in this way? it is no different between the hiv antibody test and duo test after 3 months? Because the duo test also is able to detect the antibodies. Do you think the duo test's ability to detect the antibody is weaker than the traditional test? could you help?
thank you sir

they are free of charge. And it is a public clinic. they only do the blood test of hiv. may i rely on the result?
The antibody part of the DUO is no different than the standard antibody test.
Thank you sir.

The last question, because i have the booster vaccination of hbv today. it will not influence the accuracy of the hiv test. is that right?
No it will not.
The antigen test part of the DUO  is only useful up to say,4 to 5 weeks after infection.
The test is still good after that, as it also looks for antibodies, and antibodies will always be present. So, at 12 weeks all you really need is an antibody test.
The DUO at and/or after the window period is a waste of money.
Thank you sir. because the clinic only offer the duo test and free of charge. So if I get a negative result from this test, no simple antibody test and other test is needed again, right?
It is actually from after week one to the beginning of week 4.
The DUO is also an antibody test. So yes, a negative result will be conclusive.
OK. Noted...read somewhere it was occasionally up to 6 weeks.
4 weeks it is then.
Dear Teak

My result came back negative. Whether no test is needed in the future? whether I can consider the symptoms are not hiv related? Thank you very much.
Dear Hangon51

My result came back negative. whether no test is needed in the future? and may I ignore the 'symptoms' which I was experiencing?
Dear Teak

can you help me?
Your 3 month post exposure test is conclusive.