HIV Prevention Community
Blood Draw Risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Blood Draw Risk

Hello All! I think I had a low/no risk exposure but I would like to get some outside opinions

A few days ago I went to have some blood work done -- when I got to the clinin they had forgotten about my appointment and no one was in the blood draw room (the lights werent even on) the woman at the front had to call and eventaully a clinician walked by who said he could do my draw.

My concern is this -- when the clinician fist walked up to the receptionist he didnt have his latex gloves on but i noted once we got to the blood draw room he had them in his lab coat pocket. He put them on, asked me to sit down, and then - with his gloves on -- typed on the computer across the room for several minutes. He then came over and drew my blood. My concern is that I have no idea how long he had been using those gloves or where they had been.

When he touched my arm to find my vein got a good look at the gloves and my arm -- especially where he touched it to find vein - -I did not see any fluids of any kind on the glove. He then drew my blood and I left.

IS there a chance that when he touched my arm HIV fluids where on glove and then that HIV got inside me with the insertion of the blood draw needle?

Thanks for your outside view all!
You have 0 risk.
your fears are irrational.

the answer is NO...hiv could not have been on his gloves and been active.

NO IF'S, AND'S OR BUT'S ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!