HIV Prevention Community
Blood Exposure Risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Blood Exposure Risk

Recently, i had full protected (Latex Condom) vaginal intercourse with an HIV positive female partner. After sex, i removed the condom and washed up with just water, and got dressed. About an hour later, as i was about to pee; i noticed a blood patch on my underwear. This is because we had not fully undressed during the episode (and her period came), and i believe my penis would have come in contact with this patch of blood on my underwear. The tip of my penis was resting on this patch of blood on my underwear. Please help identify the risk profile of contracting the HIV virus this way, and advise if there are any measures i could take immediately to prevent this.
You didn't have an exposure. HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
Thanks for that expedient response! Impressive.

Let me just add something. I have had a herpes infection in the past(about 5 years ago). I was not shedding at the time of the intercourse and condom remained on throughout the episode.

How does this affect the scenario, and would i need HIV testing?
Doesn't affect it at all. No you do not need an HIV test.
Apologies for sounding like a persistent nutcase, but i have some sypmtoms that i will appreciate your views on. I have sudden fatigue, a feeling of being unwell, and a rash on my right cheek. No other symptoms.

What is your candid opinion on this?

Thanks a mill.
Doesn't have anything to do with HIV.
Thanks Teak.

So whats with all these comments online about HIV positive blood getting into the eye or urethra opening at the tip of the penis representing a significant risk?

Various articles posit that if HIV positive blood makes 'non sexual' contact with mucus membranes; then risk of infection is high (as long as its blood from an HIV+ individual).

Are they exaggerated?
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
Thanks.

Doesnt quite answer my question though.
Do you have a similar opinion, or an insight into my question please.
I don't know where you are getting your incorrect information but you have been given correct information on this forum.
I have never once disagreed with Teak. When we answer questions at the same time you will see that our answers match up almost word for word.

Only way to get HIV from non-sexual means is IV drug use and mother to unborn/nursing child.

Any thing else is and has not happened.
I should have said anything else has not and will not happen.
Thanks Guys!

I just saw stuff on google, and read where certain health care workers had concerns about infected blood that got into their eyes.

Thanks anyway. Have a good day.
Hi Teak
Me again. Please see an example of a site that indicates hiv transmission via mucous membranes including the urethra:

http://www.aidsmap.com/Route-and-susceptibility-mucous-membranes-and-target-cells/page/1324028/

Considering my episode and past herpes status, the information on this site alludes to high possibility of being exposed.

I know you are a person of few words, but please spare me a few more.

Thanks.
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
Do you guys agree with the assessment of my scenario above?
You were assessed by two of the best.Yes i agree with their assessment of your situation.
Thanks.

they say 3 times the charm.
Guys,
Since HIV loses its infectiousness once outside its host, or once in contact with air; why is there a risk with Blood transfusion?
During blood transfusions the blood has never been exposed to the air.
Considering my episode above, i would like to add that at the time i noticed the tip of my penis on the blood patch; there was still some semen coming out of the tip of my penis.

Does this change your earlier assesment ?
NO, now move along.
New Situation: Had protected insertive vaginal intercourse with partner who is HIV positive. Used a latex condom throughout. However, after ejaculation i noticed some semen had slipped through the top of the condom at the end of my penis shaft close to my groin area. We had continued sex after ejaculation and this amount of semen had come in contact with her labia as intercourse came to an end.

Is it possible that the virus could have passed through this spilled semen that had escaped and was on my shaft/groin area;  back into the condom and my penis? In other words, could this semen act as a medium to transport the virus back into the condom and into my urethra/tip of penis?

Thanks for anticipated response.
No, HIV isn't transmitted through such tortuous mechanisms. HIV is a virus- it is not motile and infection requires direct inoculation inside a body cavity, as in unprotected contact. Your scenario is completely unrealistic.
Thanks Joggen!

Vance, Teak; anyone with an alternative or contrary opinion? Or do we all agree?
Nothing more to add to what you were told.
You're back again & still haven't learnt the correct modes of HIV transmission.When are you going to learn--time to move on.