HIV Prevention Community
Blood Grocery Store Infant

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Blood Grocery Store Infant

Thank you for reading my question. I was at the grocery store, at the self checkout and began checking out. Once I had rung up, I looked down and saw a bunch of dime to quarter size droplets all over the area for scanning. I could not tell if it was blood or not, but it looked like it could have been. I was not bleeding, so it may have been a person right before me. I believe that in scanning my purchases I ran my shirt sleeve through it (maybe my hand). My worry, however, is later, at home, my one year old old cut the side of his nose and was bleeding. I do not live far from the store. The cut went the length of his nostril or more and was bleeding, and looked rather deep (I have no idea what he cut it on). I cleaned his nose with a wipe. In tending to him again, he turned his face away and into my shirt sleeve, where I fear I may have had blood transfer from the store. Should I have any concern for him? or my self for that matter, but my biggest fear is for my baby.
Not an HIV concern.
I am sorry for asking, but it is my baby. When you say not an HIV concern do you mean that there is no risk? As in there is not a way he get HIV like that, with at the time a bleeding cut? My concern is I should call doctor/hospital.

Was there any risk for me with my contact?

I am sorry for the extra question,and am not trying to question your answer, only make sure I am taking it the right way. Unfortunately,my parenting instinct has set in, and in browsing the doctor's forum, Dr. Handsfield indicated there was a low risk for a child drinking milk at a grocery store with blood on it. I assume there is a difference here?

I sincerely apologize again, but parental instincts/fear set in.
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Thank you. So that's no risk for my baby and myself, and no need for testing?
No risk.
NO risk at all.  The fluid you saw probably wasn't even blood, and if it was, it was probably from a package of meat, they bleed all the time.  NO risk whatsoever.