Aa
A
A
Close
Boyfriend had an ''affair'' chance of infection?
One month ago I learned of an affair my boyfriend was having a litter over a month ago. He was having regular unprotected sex with an 18 year old girl. The daughter of our sons godparents. I do not know much about her sexual history. All I know is that she is 18, is married and was visiting here from Connecticut when they had the nearly one month long affair. I also know that she had a pregnancy recently, but miscarried. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex about three times since I learned of the affair.

I am have been coming down with a mild sore throat  on and off for the past two weeks. It feels like the kind of sore throat you get when fluid is dripping down the back of your throat from allergies or sinus problems.  I have no symptoms of any other stds.

I am so scared right now. I have severe hypochondria and these kind of things really take a toll on my mental health.  I am prone to sink in to deep depression and anxiety once I think I have a serious illness.

What are the chances that I have been infected with HIV? Can anyone give me some advice until I can get tested. Some peace of mind maybe?  
Cancel
14 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your chances are close to zero.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
You can obtain your conclusive negative test result 3 months post exposure.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I would take a DUO test now for a 99.89% reliable result.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Why are they close to zero?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
There is no advantage in taking a DUO test at this time.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
HIV is rare in 18 yo girls and is not transmitted efficiently. You should primarily be concerned about more common STDs not HIV.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
In 2009, young persons accounted for 39% of all new HIV infections in the US. For comparison's sake, persons aged 15–29 comprised 21% of the US population in 2010.
Young MSM, especially those of minority races and ethnicities, are at increased risk for HIV infection. In 2009, young MSM accounted for 27% of new HIV infections in the US and 69% of new HIV infections among persons aged 13–29. Among young black MSM, new HIV infections increased 48% from 2006 through 2009.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
What does "MSM" stand for?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Males that have sex with Males.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Oh. Makes sense. So does the fact that so many young people are being infected with HIV put me at a higher risk?

Sorry. I have dyscalculia and I am not good with  numbers. To be honest what you posted confused me.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
There is apx. 52 000 new infections a year in the US and of those 39% of those are young people. That's 20280 young people each year that tests positive for HIV.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
So I have to wait another 2 months to test?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166 tn?1385262982
3 months post your last exposure yields a conclusive result.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
So I stir ll have my scratchy throat and now I am experiencing fatigue and headaches. How likely is it that these are ARS symptoms?

I have been under a very severe depression over my boyfriends infidelity.  I can't. Eat or sleep and pretty much have hit rock bottom as far as depression goes and have been contemplating suicide ( 2 weeks ago I was in a mental health clinic for suicide). Could my symptoms be caused by the stress/depression I am experiencing. Can emotions have that kind of effect?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank