HIV Prevention Community
Broken condom during sexual intercourse with romanian prostitute.

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Dear Doctor,

I have a huge problem. Two days ago i, for what reason ever, decided to approach a low budget brothel where i met a nice young romanian sex worker. Short story, we went into her room, and had vaginal sex.

All went well until shortly before my ejaculation. The moment I started feeling her more intense, i was already coming and i could slap me for not immediately cancelling the joyride. Anyhow, I can estimate the time of unsafe sex to around 30-45 seconds.

Immediately after pulling out my "member", we saw that the front part of the condom was totally busted. Darn!

The lady was shocked and askey me whether I was clean or not, which i of course confirmed. Immediately after that incident, i washed my woodie around 15-20 times with soap and warm water.

Same night, i headed straight to the hospital with the hope to get a PEP, but they told me that there is no indication for a PEP and if I'd like one i would have to pay a couple thousand bucks. But they wanted to test me for HepB and HepC. I refured because all I was thinking about was HIV.

For three days I am now am googling on the internet, trying to estimate my risk. I already started to say goodbye to my life, didnt go to work anymore, i am almost ready for the "nut house".

Please, can you tell me how risky my exposure was? Are my fears justified? Will I have to die because that fricken low-quality condom???

Thanks your your time!
hi there,

you had a risk and need testing 90 days after the exposure.

the fact that you had sex with a sex worker does not increase your odds of catching HIV in a important manner.   they are indeed low and not so much different from catching HIV from a single encounter by picking up somebody at a bar. In other words, statistically, the odds are the same (if not higher) for her to catch HIV from a client like yourself in the same event you are describing.

the bottom line is that you need to test at 3 month mark.  6-8 weeks testing will be extremely reassuring, but not yet conclusive.

regards,

You had a risk, but due to the brevity of the unprotected sex, and the probability that the CSW is not infected, your risk was not high.  CSW's usually insist on condoms to protect themselves from YOU, not the other way around, and the fact that she became concerned after the condom broke is a good sign.

You're going to have anxiety over this situation, that is unavoidable, however, keep yourself busy, and stay off the internet, that will keep your anxiety down a bit.  You can test at 6 weeks, a negative at that point would be VERY reassuring that you did not get HIV from this encounter.   You'll then want to follow up with a test at 3 months post exposure for a conclusive result.

nPEP is reserved for exposures to a partner who is known to be +.  It is very expensive, and there are some risks and significant side effects that come along with it.

Don't worry too much, chances are, you'll be okay.
thanks guys, but the fear is really almost killing me :-(
I thought that the chances were like one in a million, but from what i have read above ("go test yourself") it sounds as if they were a LOT higher (like one in ten).

please help :-(
I was also in same boat in which r u now.my risk was sllghtly higher then urs coz the girl was frm thailand coz its sumwhat higher frm europe  hiv transmission manner.n the girl i was with dont know english n she even nt insisted for condom.but the test made me relieved i had antigen test at 13days it was non reactive n after 28days i made antigen/antibody test with elisa it was also non reactive.doctors said me its conclusive but i am still waiting to rest at 12 weeks to get fullproof conclusive test.
I would suggest u to take antigen test at 10 to 21 days post exposure.as p24 antigen protein level is higher.good luck
Hey akssoni, thanks for your answer.
The problem is, that I doubt to go for a test in 2 weeks.

I know that if the test in 2 weeks would turn out positive, i would jump from the grand canyon immediately. And really ... i don't want that to happen in 2 weeks.

I was hoping that someone could take my fears, maybe i am overestimating the risk of transmission. :-(
The dude in the hospital (where I asked for a PEP but didn't get it) told me, that the risk of transmission during insertive vaginal sex would be 1%, multiplied by 5% which is the risk of a CSW having HIV.

Total risk for me would be 1:2000 at unknown serostatus of that CSW,
and 1:100 if she was HIV+.

1:100 ... thats insane :-( How can my life be over with a chance of 1:100 ... i did everything right, used a condom, i am always doing it safe,

i am really freaking out.
Did you read my reply?  The odds are actually in your favor that you will NOT become infected.  Most CSW's do NOT have HIV, despite a lot of people thinking they do.  Also, you were only inside the CSW without condom protection for a very brief time, that works in your favor as well.

So, you're going to commit suicide if you find out you're infected?  If you really feel that way, you need to get some immediate help.  HIV is no picnic, sure, but it is not the death sentence it was in the 80's.  The vast majority of infected people live a normal life span, often with causes other than HIV taking them from this Earth.

You're putting the cart before the horse.  I told you you are going to have anxiety during this process, that's to be expected, but you aren't trying to help yourself by staying off the computer, on this site, and I would guess constantly googling about HIV.  THAT IS ONLY GOING TO INCREASE YOUR ANXIETY.

Have a test at 6 weeks.  A negative at that time is going to be very reassuring.  Most newly infected people will test + by that point.  Therefore, if you get a negative, it will ease your stress a little bit.  8 weeks would be even more encouraging.

In all the years us regulars have been posting here, none of us (NONE) have ever seen a person report becoming infected, after ANY exposure, even very high risk ones (M2M anal sex with a known + partner).  There are hundreds of new posts per month.  Those facts are hard to dispute.  It tells you that while HIV is a risk in certain circumstances, it is NOT easy to transmit.

Do yourself a favor and walk away from your computer for a while.
I have similar situation. Your words and insight are very reassuring. Thank you :)