HIV Prevention Community
Burning sensation and chills

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Burning sensation and chills

Dear Doc,

I have a burning sensation that gives me chills all over my body, it started from my arm pits, than arms than thighs and legs and so on.

The thing is that i had exposure of HIV due to unprotected sex and i have become extremely anxious even though my first 4 week test has come back as negative. i am waiting for another week to go get another one done to complete the 8 week test, but till than i am unable to take this fear out of my head, i am so so scared inside me and i am having sleepless nights from last three weeks.

is this all because of my anxiety or any of this burning and chilling sensation has to do with HIV symptoms.

Also can you please please inform me in steps when and how HIV stages occur to ease my stress.

Thanks.
i believe  you are stressing your self out. Anxiety and stress can bring in chills. while you did have a risk.  a one time sexual risk carries a small risk.

Anxiety can bring in al the sympoms HIV has, the only way for sure is to get tested.

3 months is conclusive , however at 6 weeks a negative result is not likely to change.

Do you know the person you slept with?  

I would also talk to the person you slept with.  
The person I had an unprotected intercourse was an escort from Eastern Europe. Apparently she did not had any scars or symptoms of HIV.
The thing is that after that encounter I was diagnosed with mycoplasma genitallium and was prescribed with cyprofloxacin for 15 days. While tested with STD's I was also tested for HIV and it came back negative. I am still not sure of the dates I had the encounter but I am sure that it was 4 weeks minimum if not more, because I was away travelling for 4 weeks and than tested, so what I am sure of is 4 weeks. From than onwards I have lost apetite, I am always alarmed and fearful of HIV and am so so scared of getting tested again as getting an HIV positive kills me inside.
I haven't had any lumps or high fever etc except that I have a small mark that seems to be skin discolouration at the back of my arm which appeared a week ago, a cold blister on my upper lip and a lump on the inside of my lower lip, all this is last 10 days.
I was tested negative on the 11th of dec 2010, till than I did not had any symptom or chills, after that day I am so so nervous and anxious that I have lost apetite, I am sleepless, I am scared like hell and with these three symptoms I have had is killing me inside. I have to mention here is that these three symptoms appeared after I traveled from middle east on the 20th of dec with 28 degrees celcius of temperature to -1 in Europe, I don't know if weather has to do anything with all this. I am feeling alarmed 24 hours a day, my head is in panic mode but I don't know what is wrong.
I want to mention here that I had anxiety history 4 years ago for which I was on medication for 2 years.

Please advice if all this is in my head or all this can have a cause which I should be worried about.

Thanks a lot.
You elected to have unprotected sex. Worrying about it now won't do a thing.
hi talash,

Dont worry. This is the time where things should be dealt with patience not anxiety.
Read out posts in Expert Forum. In many posts doctor says that one time exposure carries very less chance of infecting you.
Added to that, you have a 4 week negative test.By 4 week period around 50 percent people cross their window period.Thats a very good news.
I think you have crossed 6 week mark, and it is the time when you can test for a more accurate answer.Go ahead and get tested, once you get negative result at 6 week mark, your mental situation will dramatically change.
But remember that you did a big mistake by not using condom. So, please never ever repeat this mistake.......
Your 3 month test will be conclusive.
I have one last question before I go for a test.
I have this skin discolouration on the back end of my left upper arm, a small spot of say 5mm where skin have become white. No rash but just lost colour, it is apparent and lately I am feeling a lot of chill or burning like sensation in the upper part of my arm.
Can you please tell me if this is realted to my worries, anxiety or is this an HIV symptom. This is really scaring me, as today I have felt like itchy sensation and chills around the discoloured area. Please advice.

Thanks.