HIV Prevention Community
Bus Crash

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Bus Crash

Five days ago I was in a bus crash in Malawi in Africa. The only cut I received was about half a centimetre long on my knuckle and not deep at all, but was bleeding similar to a paper cut. As far as I am aware the wound did not come into contact with anyone else’s blood, but I did have to climb over people in the pitch black to get out. However, I did not see anyone elses blood on my skin. I sucked on the cut as well.

I have been told you can go on PEP up to a week after exposure. I realise my risk is small, but considering the part of the world that I am in would you recommend going on the drugs as a precaution?

I have searched and searched the internet but not found a similar scenerio and am going quite insane from worry.
Your risk is zero. PEP is unnecessary.
even if the cut came into contact with some blood?
If PEP could do something I would take it.
dont worry..pep is only for people who had an confirmed exposure with a known hiv positive person..in your case, you dont need PEP and no need to be worried for hiv transmission