HIV PREVENTION
COMMUNITY
Can Alcohol destroy/Kill HIV?
by Shahzade, Mar 29, 2012
Dear Dr.,
Kindly reply my questions. I am so much worried, feeling anxiety, tiredness and vomiting.
Two weeks ago I went to get tested for HIV in a Government Medical University in India where more than 100 patients are getting tested daily for HIV and other microbial disease. My HIV test was negative. But the blood taking person was not wearing gloves. I swabbed my vein area own self with an alcohol- soaked cotton. But he checked my vein with his naked forefinger. I further thrice swabbed the area using the same cotton which I used earlier. Later on I saw that he burned the niddle in an electric burner. Thereafter, he swabbed the neck of the syringe (having some blood at it tip/mouth) with a common alcohol soaked cotton which he was using with his naked hand after taking blood in every case. I noticed that the cotton has good amount of blood because he was using the same cotton (doing the same practice) in each and every case. In evening when I went to take my test report I asked regarding the HIV positive patients and 07 patients were HIV positive at that day. The 5th patient before my blood drawing was also HIV positive.

Now I am very much confused and highly worried that weather there is any chance of transmission of HIV because he checked my vein position with his contaminated finger, however, I swabbed the area with alcohol soaked cotton after his finger touching.
Is any chance of transmission of HIV in this mode?
Does alcohol kill the HIV immediately?
How long HIV can survive in alcohol like spirit or ethanol?
How long HIV can survive on blood contaminated finger tips (Fingers were looking to be not wet).  
Is there any medicine which could be taken in case of HIV suspecting?
Should I start to take any medicine?

Please do reply. Since that day I am feeling my self in hell.
Please Please do reply.  
Member Comments (12)
by akssoni, Mar 29, 2012
no risk.
by RainLover71, Mar 29, 2012
Hiv can't survive at all once exposed to air,it's that simple.You're safe.
by Shahzade, Mar 30, 2012
Kindly send me some informative web links where I can go through for my complete satisfaction.
by Shahzade, Mar 30, 2012
Why no risk? Give me the reasonable reason please
by borninDXB, Mar 30, 2012
You can visit the CDC website and it will give you the same answers
by zamzam4, Mar 30, 2012
This is a simple answer to what you have made a very complex question.  HIV will not 'survive' in any of the situations you have concerned yourself with.  The HIV virus has an outer shell, it is this outer shell that it uses to latch onto cells in the body and replicate.  Within nano seconds of leaving the body this outer shell degrades and as soon as it is even slightly damaged it cannot infect.  The virus is very fragile and when it comes into contact with ANYTHING air, alcohol... anything you can come up with.  The shell is damaged and WILL NOT be able to infect you. Its impossible. Science has spent years researching and proving this.  If HIV were as durable as you seem to think it is millions uppon millions more people would be infected.

What you are suggesting cannot even be made to happen in a petri dish in a lab, that is how fragile it is.
by Shahzade, Mar 30, 2012
Thank you very much dear. I also want the reply from Nursegirl16572 and Teak.
by Shahzade, Apr 01, 2012
Dear Dr.,

Does alcohol kill the HIV immediately?
Should I start to take any medicine?

Please Please do reply.
by Teak, Apr 01, 2012
You never had an exposure.