HIV Prevention Community
Can HIV be transmitted in this way?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Can HIV be transmitted in this way?

Recently in my martial arts class we had to break a block of wood. Each person would go one by one to break it using their fist. The instructor would hold it about chest-level and we'd punch it horizontally. About 2-3 people punched it (without breaking it) before I punched and I broke it. When I punched it, I didn't look closely but I don't remember seeing any sort of large amount of blood. Even after I broke it, you had to look closely to see some fine red spots. For everyone of us our fists were bleeding after we punched it. Is it possible to get HIV by punching the wooden board? I hit approximately 10 seconds after the person before me. I washed my hands after about 3-5mins. Is it possible to get HIV from this? Also should I get tested for HIV? Should I even be worrying about it?
No ! HIV does not transmit this way. No way, Never. The only routes of HIV transmission are,

1. Unprotected vaginal and anal sex
2. Sharing IV works in drugs
3. Blood transfusion (this is a threat only in the developing world)
4. From mother to child

Then Full Stop