HIV Prevention Community
Can I believe the test results from SD Bioline?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi Dr.

Firstly a little background to my story:
• Visited CSW in Dec 2012
• Unprotected oral + protected vaginal sex
• Tested negative for hiv / syphilis at 3 weeks post exposure - test kit unknown (blood test)
• Persistant "dr. google hiv symptoms" that includes dry throat, throat infection, shortness of breath, dizziness, weight loss, GI problems (bouts of diarrhea then constipation and minor infection of colon), im still suffering even now.
• Tested negative for hiv / syphilis at 25 weeks post exposure - test kit - rapid Standard Diagnostics Bioline hiv 1/2 + sd bioline syphilis (both blood)

I have been reading alot on this forum and I understand that all my so called ars symptoms are probably caused my stress/guilt/anxiety and should they be from the hiv exposure, they should not last for more than a couple of weeks and should only show up between 4-6 weeks post exposure.

I'm trying my hardest to think positively and work some logic into this mess i'm in. I was ready to put all this behind me when I got my test results at 25 weeks but while I was searching online for more info on the testkit, I found that the SD Bioline had some problems and WHO took them off the list 2 years ago.

Since finding that out, I have developed even more symptoms and its totally ruining me.

To get the extra peace of mind, would you please answer my questions:

1. The Bioline news was 2 yrs ago, should I trust the test results and leave it at that or should I re test?

2. Early HIV symptoms should not last for months and I really dont think I am the special one who shows symptoms for 3 months non stop. What can I do to take my mind off this?

3. Should I test for other stds as well?

Many thanks for reading this and totally appreciate your help.
You never had an exposure and never needed testing.
Thank you sir