Can you catch HIV from wet-nursing a baby? From baby to wet-nurse?
Hello there,
I am in India at the moment, and 8 weeks ago started breastfeeding a malnourished baby (with the mothers consent of course!) whose mother does not produce enough milk.
Two weeks after I started feeding the baby I started to get fever and cold symptoms as well as nausea, my child (who I also breastfeed) developed the same and also my husband. I was ill for two weeks which is longer than usual for me, and so decided to have a HIV test and test the mother of the baby also. Both tests came back negative, although I later read that mine would have been too early to test.
I went away for two weeks and when I got back started feeding the baby again, and again have been bed-ridden ill, my child has been throwing up in the night and my partner developed these small white spots on his lips and tongue for 2 days but they have gone away now.
I had another HIV test at 6 weeks after I started feeding the baby, so four weeks after my first test, which was also negative.
It may just be that we are in India, its common for illness to happen here, people in the guesthouse have also had nausea and flu like symptoms.
So my question is:
Can a baby pass hiv to a wet nurse?
and could a baby have hiv without its mother having it?
I've been hideously worried and feeling sick about the whole thing.
Thank you!
NO.