HIV Prevention Community
Can you get hiv through the eyes

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Can you get hiv through the eyes

Without boring you with the entire story.  I am wondering if you can catch hiv through mucus from the eyes, such as the kind when your eyes get glossy from allergy.  I have been on this computer for 5 hours and have read that the eye is a mucus membrane.  If you can catch hiv through a membrane if an hiv positive person rubs there eye the you get fluid from thier hand onto your hand and rub your eye seconds after it seems like you could catch it.  I am worried because i had such an incident with a person who is hiv positive.  Long story short, can the glossy film from a persons eye transmit the virus.  I will get tested in 6 months to be sure as i have read, but also I may go to the er and see if they can screen me and maybe talk to a doctor or I may not be able to sleep. I am glad I found this page hope to hear from somebody thank you.
You absolutely cannot get HIV from the tears of an HIV-positive person's eyes

1.  HIV is not found in high concentrations in tears.
2.  HIV cannot transmit through the environment (air) because HIV is structurally destroyed outside the body and cannot infect or spread.

You do not need to test for HIV.  You do not need to go to an ER or talk to a doctor.

NO risk of HIV whatsoever.
Thnaks. One more thing. Would the gloosy film that a person gets in thier eyes even when they get kinda bloodshot be in the same category. Is that the same as tears.  You have saved me from the dreaded er
...