HIV Prevention Community
Chances of getting HIV from receiving oral sex (*******)

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

For the last five months i have visited four escort girls. With the three of them I didnt have vaginal intercourse because i was very scared from getting any diseases, i had only oral sex (they gave me blowjob). With one of them I had vaginal intercourse  and i have used a condom which did not brake or anything like that. The whole experience lasted no more than 10 minutes. I also had oral sex with her (she gave me blowjob).

in all cases i did not give any type of oral sex to them. i didnt even kiss them in the mouth (french kiss) except only from one of them, and that happen only 2-3 times.  

for some reason i am really worried that i have contracted hiv and i am very stressed because i am thinking of all the consequences that i will ahve in a case i have contracted hiv and this drives me crazy.

is there a real a big chances that i have contracted HIV or any other STD? should i go get tested?
  • question (7 replies):
    I had oral sex with an infected partner... he didn't eja...[more]
  • Unprotected oral sex (8 replies):
    I had unprotected oral sex about four time with the same...[more]
  • Confused (4 replies):
    I was under the impression that oral was no risk for HIV...[more]
  • HIV Test (5 replies):
    Good Morning, I went for an HIV test this am, and am ...[more]
  • HIV & Oral Sex (3 replies):
    Is it realistically possible (not theoretically) for a m...[more]
hiv is NOT transmitted through oral sex.

FROM THE HIV EXPERTS HERE AT MEDHELP:

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex.  The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way.  Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk".  There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  Please educate yourself about the real risks.  If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. "   DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..."   DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?  
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

The observation on thousand and thousand of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort).  DR. HOOK

"With regard to the question you ask, I will repeat, as I’ve said more times than I can think- there are NO credible cases in which persons have acquired HIV through performance of oral sex- none!!.  The chance that you will be the first is ridiculously low.  You are more likely to be hit by lightening while reading my reply to you. DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." DR HOOK

"There is no credible evidence that HIV is spread through oral sex, with or without the presence of cuts or blood in the persons mouth."- DR HOOK

"Oral sex. there is no evidence that HIV is spread through giving or receiving oral sex"- DR HOOK

You never had a risk of hiv transmission from the situations you described and don,t require testing for hiv.
Thank you very much guys!!!. Your response made me feel much more relaxed now
Did i make clear to you that when i received oral sex (blowjob) i was not using a condom? Your advices are still valid taking under consideration that i did not use condom for the blowjobs, right?
Read LIZZIE LOU's thread, the first sentence.
No HIV concern. Always be safe.
You had no risk of contracting HIV from oral sex.

No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr.Hook

"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK

I understand how you feel. I had received oral sex from a safe guy about 4 and half months ago, and even though he told me he was safe, I got into my head that I was infected.  I have been tested twice, both at the 3 weeks and just shy of the 3 month mark, and I have came up negative.  However, I understand how you feel because the thought of thinking that you might be infected, will kill you faster than anything.  It is the stress from worrying that will do it. However, I am glad that there this site and medical professional that tell you the same thing. I was told by my medical professional that the risk is very low and she didn't seem to care about it either. She did tell me that unprotected vaginal/anal sex is more of a worry. It felt good to hear that because when I finally do become intimate with someone, I will always use protection. However, I have had unprotected oral sex within the last 2 years and I came up fine. So, I strongly believe that even though there is a low risk, it is nothing compared to having unprotected vaginal/anal sex.  Like my medical professional said, "it is a low risk, even if an infected person gives you oral sex."
i received oral sex 2 weeks ago and you say their are no risks of catching HIV,but what if i feel like I have symptoms of HIV is that my mind playing tricks on me or what?
what wrong with the question?
Read the replies above. Your answers are there.
im so sorry Sir didnt see that thank you
i know there are no risk of catching HIV from getting oral sex but how come i feel like i have symptoms of HIV?,Can u tell me how bad the symptoms are and tell me the the first big sign of HIV?
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.