HIV Prevention Community
Condom Broke with Sex Worker

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Condom Broke with Sex Worker

Dr and all,

On Feb. 5 I was out with some friends in Singapore. We were drinking and went for sushi around 9pm. I ate a ton of sushi in a questionable place. A couple of hours and drinks, around 1130 or midnight, later we ended up at a brothel. In my stupidity I had sex with a Thai sex worker. The condom broke but I did not know it and continued to ejaculation (not inside of her).

After I withdrew I realized what had happend and freaked out. I went and quickly showered and asked her if she had an y diseases. She said she did not and was tested every month.

The next morning I woke up and went to a conference. I did not feel well mainly due to a hangover, but at around 9am I got really bad stomach cramps and began to vomit and have diarrhea. I went home at lunch time and slept for 2 hours and then went to the Dr. where I DID NOT have a fever. I was given anti diarrhea and vomiting meds and some charcoal pills. I went back to my hotel and slept the rest of the evening. In the morning I felt much better (slight stomach discomfort) but by that evening I was basically fine. The Dr. said I probably had food poisoning from the Sushi.

I did not have any of the symptoms of the acute virus I read about in this forum from that point on. My question is could this have been related to catching HIV 9-12 hours after the unprotected sex? I am waiting for the results of a test I took at the 3 month point right now. Thank you for your help.
No it can not be relatd, your symptoms, they would of been too early.  You did good in testing a one time exposure puts the odds highly in your favor that you are negative, still its good to test after unprotected sex with an unknown partner  Looking forward to hearing about your negative soon.
thank you for the reply. i also was wondering what are the chances of having contracted and being asymptomatic. no fever, lymph node swelling, etc. i have read conflicting reports but most say 50 - 90% get symptoms.
Roughly half of people get no symptoms, plus your symptoms were way too early and werent even the type that point to ARS.

Sounds liek did have soem type of food poison or allergic reaction though.

She said she tests every month and more than likely isnt lying so obviously she practices safe sex. Try not to worry too much, the odss are way in your favor.
You're symptoms are not HIV related...doctor's right...food poisoing (mixed with alcohol) = headache, stomach ache, vomitting and diarrhea...hell, drinking alone can cause that...your chances of HIV infection are very low...somewhere in the 0.05% if the prostitude indeed was HIV+, which she probably wasn't....don't worry too much but get tested in 8 weeks or so just so you rest easy...HIV is hardly ever contracted on a one-night "fling"...