HIV Prevention Community
Constant Nausea - HIV Symptom?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Constant Nausea - HIV Symptom?

Hi all,

11 days ago, I had unprotected sex with a woman for about 7 or 8minutes. This was after oral (both receiving and giving, for about 10minutes).

After about 7 or 8 minutes of unprotected sex, I decided to put on a condom. Stupid, I know, should have used one from the beginning.

Now, usually Im not too worried about things, but lately, reading about HIV and how it could be in your body for years without you knowing led me to get tested. I tested negative 3 days after my exposure, and this was my 1st ever HIV test (it was a rapid HIV test that took under a minute). I know 3 days is too short, but it was more or less to know whether I had HIV from years ago... thank god I did not.

However, Im now worried about the last encounter, which was 11 days ago. From what I understand, I will have to wait 6 weeks to get a conclusive test. That seems like far too long to me.... I feel like I may go crazy by then!

The only real symptom Im having at the moment is constant nausea. It doesnt go away, and Ive had it for about 3-4 days now. Even with nausea medication, its still here....

My questions are these:

1) Is nausea a recognized symptom of HIV? Would I even have symptoms this early?
2) I know that 6 weeks is conclusive... but how reliable is a test at 2 weeks or 3 weeks?
3) I have a rapid test that the nurse took a prick of blood from my finger. This test came back negative in under 60 seconds. Is this test enough? Does it test for both HIV 1 and 2?

Thanks!

from my understanding naseau is a symptom but it could be caused from anxiety as well. I suggest you go to the anxiety forum and you will see lots of symptoms that could be caused just from anxiety .
Anxiety is the cause of your nausea. People do this all the time. They read into the symptoms of HIV and there mind plays tricks on them. Your mind is very powerfull. As for your risk wait 3 months and get tested. I know thats hard. But very good chance it is neg. So intill then keep your mind off of it. And think what are your odds she even had HIV.