HIV Prevention Community
Coughing up mucus, white tongue, etc.

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Coughing up mucus, white tongue, etc.

I have a partner, sort of, who i have unprotected anal intercourse with, we have been seeing eachother for a year, and say we love each other etc, but only see each other once a week due to busy lives.

Anyway im scared i might have contracted HIV
about 3 months ago now. i started getting a sore throat and then stuffy nose, cough you know the drill, then about week after that i got diarrhoea which lasted for 4 days. After that i started getting joint pain and consist coughing up mucus. Ive also had slightly swollen lymph nodes but non tender and i dont know if it was just anxiety driven. Also been itchy all over but also unknown if anxiety driven.

I told my partnee to get tested and he said he came back negative, i didnt get tested.  

Since then my symptoms got a little better, and currently just have bumps on inside of mouth sore throat (soft palate sore), and a white tongue (whcih my doctor said was nothing bus prescribed me some antifungal thing just incase), ive also been consistently spitting up mucus, varying colours from white to yellow to green. And also had white foamy spit.

Does this sound like HIV symptoms?
I trust my partner, he said he hasn't been with anyone else for a year and i believe him but it could be a false negative, also, he didnt walk out with any proof he had it done? do they not give u anything?

Thanks for reading.
Medical centers give you the results with all information about the test that was used and the test result, and eventually some notice if you need to make retesting etc.. If you trust your partner, then do nothing at all. But my advice is to do the test (he doesn't need to know at all). A negative result will help you clear your head.
Gum,
I know that but do they get written results.
I do trust him, but i don't know sometimes.
He said they took a finger prick, and waited for a few minutes. and there was 2 spots or something. And the woman said negative.
He went in a 11 and got out at 11:12
lol 1 spot.
The negative spots :P i forget.
Don't ever take anyone word for their status no matter how much you trust them. Get tested yourself and know your status.
Good idea teak. Even though im sure hes telling the truth.
Do the symptoms sound like HIV though?

Also any idea whats the best method, since it'd have been a while since my exposure, would the rapid testing be okay?
And is it weird to go for it. I dunno, seems weird to ask for an std test!
Symptoms or lack of will never tell you your status.
Oh,
Okay.
And alright, i'll set up a test then.

Thank you Gum and Teak.
So, I got the test, and it ended up negative.

This just shows the amount of symptoms you have (and at one time I had them all), does not mean you do or don't have hiv, best thing to do is get tested and not worry about it until you get tested!!

Thankyou for your advice and I hope people will listen and see that while symptoms can be a sign, they also can have nothing to do with it. (I had generalized swollen nodes and a rash, but it wasn't hiv).
Get tested and thanks.