HIV Prevention Community
Could one swollen lymph node be a sign of HIV

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I don't really know where to begin because my mind is racing right now. Basically, i've had a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck that's come back twice now. The first time it happened, i went to see the doctor and she said i was just fighting off a virus and to take some paracetamol, which i did. It went away after about 5 days and i completely forgot about it up until this week when it was slightly swollen again in the same place.

I went back to the doctor today and she checked all my lymph nodes. She said that the one that was bothering me was slightly swollen but i have no other swollen lymph nodes. She booked me in for an ultra sound on my neck to check to see why it was swollen again and i've also got a blood test in a few weeks. She told me not to worry but i'm terrified.

I'm scared that it's HIV or cancer. I've only ever slept with one person but we didn't use a condom and we had a causal relationship for a while. I've heard from people that he's used a lot of girls. I feel like my life is over. I'm only 25 years old. I've considered taking my own life because i know i couldn't cope if it was something serious. Can any other stds cause swollen lymph nodes or is it just HIV?
U need to relax.when a person has hiv they have more then one swollen lymph node not jus one...you should jus get tested if your really worried..im sure you dont have nothing