HIV Prevention Community
Curiosity

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Curiosity

Hi. I just read through this thread:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/HIV-Rapid-Tests--Infection/show/1872501.
I have similar thing happen. I broke the rapid test kit and see what is inside. I have touch the surface of the paper that contain line C and T.

1) Is it true that the rapid test have hiv antigen inside? is it a real antigen inside or some code make? My rapid test is to detect antibody.

2) My finger just have a finger prick that time. Will i get infected?

3) Do i need to test over this incident?
No risk.
Thanks Teak,

Just wanted to know. The rapid test paper where there is control line T or C contain HIV ? how its detected the antibody? by some code or real antigen?
of course it doesn't "contain" hiv
Thanks lizzie,

The threads scare out of me. So it is really safe if i touch the surface of that paper where control line C or T is? the thread say that its contain hiv antigen. @.@
The antigen is not a virus.
Ok thanks Teak, how they make the antigen? coding? im just crazy now. My mind can't think correctly. So it is safe if i touch or rub on that surface?
You could have ate the strip, it isn't infectious.
Just want to know more. Antigen is needed to detect the hiv antibody? so it is nothing to do with hiv?
Hi Teak,

This is funny. Btw, thanks so much. i will not think this anymore. I won't searching again. Thanks so much.
Last last question. How they make the protein or antigen? by coding?
You'll have to look that one up.
hi teak or lizzie . final question . do I need to test over this incident ?
Nobody in his right mind would advise you to test over this completely overblown irrationally-conjectured 'incident'. Please move along.
my mind is stuck after I saw the thread ... @.@ ... every possible thing come to my mind . blood go through the antigen reactive the antigen and it's become hiv virus and my hand touch the virus . my finger just have a prick and contain holes for the virus to go in . I become infected by this . omg . my mind is crazy .....
Seek professional mental help. The problem lies in your head not HIV.
hope so . will seek help if continue
Ok another question:
After i take apart the strip , i throw it into a dustbin near my office.It is a public dustbin. After 30 minutes, i went back to the dustbin to take out the strip and take a look again. My finger that time still not yet recover from the prick. Dustbin contain hiv and bind it to my blood in the strip. i touch it with the holes from my finger prick. I get infection. :( . i am so stupid for what i have done.
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
HIV is not spread by oral sex, giving or receiving, even if sores, gum disease or blood is present
DR HOOK
The fact is that there are no cases in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted by oral sex, including fellatio..  EWH
Sorry wrong threat, this one is yours.

* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
looooool!!!!!! Teak you are hilarious man , your quote " Sorry wrong thread, this one is yours." just got me in uncontrolable laughter in which i hadenthad for weeks!
hi all ,

I have done blood drawn from arm for body check up . after one day , when there is still have wound . I go for massage and the girl massage my arm . if her hand Got blood and touch the wound which is the vein . can I get infected ?
Don't hijack someone else's thread.