HIV Prevention Community
DNA PCR - Mistake?

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

DNA PCR - Mistake?

I had a very low exposure risk (used protection). I was planning on having an antibody test conducted but was talked into the more expensive DNA PCR test. (29 days past exposure). Now my concern is a potential for a false positive.

1.) Does anybody have any thoughts on the potential of a false positive (percentages, etc)?
2.) Anybody have experience with DNA PCR test? Feedback?
Tags: DNA PCR, pcr, test
You never had a risk if you used protection so that test is meaningless.Also,the HIV DNA by PCR is not used for diagnostic purposes,but rather to monitor people who have already got the virus.I see no need for further testing.You don't have Hiv.
Avatar n tn
Would you suggest even getting the results?
Avatar n tn
Yeah RainLover - I should have researched before hand. I wasted money but it could be worse. I feel like skipping the results to avoid a situation of a false positive that I don't even need to worry about.

The results would mean nothing because you never had a risk.I wouldn't even bother getting them at all.Just turn your back on this situation and move on with your life.
Avatar n tn
Thanks - I have to admit this forum is pretty good.

It's amazing though - what they (commercial organizations selling and marketing) will tell you to get you to spend your money. Frustrating but true.

I agree,It's very sad that they are looking to make money rather than be honest with people about testing options.This is the type of world we live in.